Old 05-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/05...ing-start-otas

Five Things to Watch During Start of OTAs
Tuesday, May 16, 2017 9:00 AM PDT
By Ricky Henne

The final phase of the offseason program officially begins today with the first of 10 Offseason Training Activities (OTAs). Traditional 11-on-11, 9-on-7, and 7-on-7 drills are finally permitted, but any form of live contact is not allowed.

Outside a voluntary veteran mini camp and last weekend’s rookie mini camp, this marks the return of traditional practice as the offense and defense square off. As always, these practices provide a glimpse into plans for this season. While depth charts are fluid and much will change, we should learn a great deal about what Head Coach Anthony Lynn and his staff’s plans are at this moment in time.

So, what are some things to look for when the Bolts take the field?

1. Battle in the Trenches – Lynn made it clear early in the offseason that all three interior line positions are up for grabs on offense. Last year’s starting guards (D.J. Fluker, Orlando Franklin) were released in recent months while the Chargers drafted two highly regarded prospects in second-round pick Forrest Lamp and third-rounder Dan Feeney. Veteran Matt Slauson is capable of playing guard or center, while a pair of second-year centers in Spencer Pulley and Max Tuerk each look to state their case. Throw in versatile guard Kenny Wiggins and there are a number of combinations the Bolts will look for as they decide who’ll line up Week 1 in Denver.

2. Bradley’s Scheme – A lot has been said of the switch on defense from a 3-4 to 4-3 under Defensive Coordinator Gus Bradley. In addition to a change in alignment, Bradley brings with him a change in philosophies and schemes. While we’ve seen bits and pieces of it earlier in the offseason, these OTAs will provide our best glimpse yet as the defense will square off against Philip Rivers and company each day.

3. Who Backs Up Gordon? – Fresh off a Pro Bowl season, Melvin Gordon will be the lead dog in the Bolts’ rushing attack. However, like most teams, Lynn prefers to roll with numerous runners throughout the game. Right now, there is an open competition behind number 28 featuring Kenjon Barner, Branden Oliver, Andre Williams, Kenneth Farrow and recently signed undrafted free agent Austin Ekeler.

4. Which Unrestricted Free Agent Shows Out? – Speaking of undrafted players, the Bolts boast the longest stretch of a college free agent making the team (20). The last two seasons saw four make the squad’s initial 53-man roster in Farrow, Chris Landrum, Spencer Pulley and Dexter McCoil. So, who will be the next to follow in the same footsteps as Antonio Gates, Tyrell Williams, Jahleel Addae and more? We’ll learn a lot more starting with these practices.

5. Returner Rotation – The Bolts also have an open competition when it comes to returning kickoffs and punts. Special Teams Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach George Stewart said Barner and recently drafted Desmond King will get a crack at it as well as Branden Oliver, Travis Benjamin, Isaiah Burse and others. The Chargers struggled in the return game in recent seasons, so finding someone to spark the unit will be front of mind.
Too early to draw any thoughts on #3 IMO. things could change there easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The best Offense is a good Defense.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:49 PM
All-Pro

First round pick still not practicing.no good.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsnfsu View Post
First round pick still not practicing.no good.
It is May.....

Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
It is May.....
When the sky is falling, it doesn't check the calendar first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Is the sky falling because M Williams missed some OTA's ? Good Lord, Bosa missed how much ? People need to relax, M Williams is just like Bosa, super talented.....he will have zero problem at the NFL level.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Is the sky falling because M Williams missed some OTA's ? Good Lord, Bosa missed how much ? People need to relax, M Williams is just like Bosa, super talented.....he will have zero problem at the NFL level.
I don't get why people keep comparing Mike Williams to Bosa when it comes to missing practice time. For every Bosa there are more Ryan Leafs out there lol. Not saying Mike Williams is gonna be a bust, just saying there's no need for that comparison. No one thought Bosa would do what he did last year missing the offseason.

With that said it's only a week and the pads aren't even on yet. No reason to panic with Mike Williams at all.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran

For those that are complaining about MW missing OTA's... just think about how upset you'd be if he pushed through is back stiffness and practiced in "meaningless OTA's" only to tear a muscle because he had to compensate and ended up missing 8 weeks.

Let's keep things in perspective people. OTA's are basically mental stretching exercises for these guys... nothing more. When the pads get on... then we can begin to discuss the importance of missing time.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:06 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Franchise View Post
For those that are complaining about MW missing OTA's... just think about how upset you'd be if he pushed through is back stiffness and practiced in "meaningless OTA's" only to tear a muscle because he had to compensate and ended up missing 8 weeks.

Let's keep things in perspective people. OTA's are basically mental stretching exercises for these guys... nothing more. When the pads get on... then we can begin to discuss the importance of missing time.
Its a little concerning.We all know its just OTAs.Its not about him pushing through anything.They haven't even done anything and he has back problems.Ill say again a LITTLE concerning.Its just something to talk about.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:12 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Kinda dramatic.Cant talk football with out being call a name how rude.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 PM
its magic & im foolin you

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/05...ng-expand-role

After a player’s rookie season, the game and everything that comes with playing in the league tends to settle. The same can be said for Derek Watt.
Heading into year two, Watt is taking this offseason in stride. Despite the changes that come with new head and position coaches, he feels a lot better about where things stand compared to a year ago as a rookie.
“I feel better going into year two than I did year one,” Watt said. “Things are very similar, but this year I’m able to feel a bit more comfortable and work on my craft.”
When a Chargers practice ends, you can usually find a couple players spending extra time refining their skills on the field. One of those is Derek Watt.
The fullback was putting in extra work on Tuesday, spending time on the field with tight end Sean Culkin. The pair knew each other from when Culkin took a visit to Wisconsin. Although they play different positions, Watt was willing to help the rookie out with similar techniques they both use.
“I’m trying to show him some of the things that Coach (Anthony) Lynn showed me. At times, he’s doing similar things to what I’m doing. There’s a lot of carry over (between the TE and FB positions). We were working on long snapping and I pulled him over and showed him some of the stuff Coach Lynn and I were working on. It’s good to have somebody with you instead of working by yourself. Having a partner out there is nice.”
As Watt alluded, Lynn has also spent time with Watt after practice. The pair has forged a bond, and Watt is especially appreciative for the guidance, due to Lynn’s running back pedigree. Having a resource like that is essentially invaluable.
“It’s been great. To know his background as a running back shows he cares enough to spend that one-on-one time after practice. And it means a lot to learn from him. He’s the man making the calls so it’s great to have that one-on-one time getting to know each other as well as taking advice and coaching points. He knows what I’m doing on every play. He knows exactly what we’re supposed to be seeing, and he can tell me if he sees something different. He knows the scheme in and out, so to learn from him is awesome.”
As for his goals in year two, Watt is looking to improve while expanding his role. Although the team has been working in shells, Watt has left an impression on Lynn. He believes the extra work they put in after practice could transition to in-game action come the season.
“(Lynn) has seen me run routes and I’ve shown that I can catch the ball, so he’s hoping to utilize me a lot more there. He wants to put the defense in some hairy situations with personnel groupings. Matchup-wise, hopefully that becomes something we can expand on. Running game wise, we’ll see what comes there.”