Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Mo’ Hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Bradley Bozeman was taken by the Packers with the 172nd pick.
Oops, I missed that one. Good pick though. Oh well, Cowboys will find some other depth player.
4. Brian Peavy, CB
5. Hunter Renfrow, WR
6. Braden Mann, P
7. Kyle Shurmur, QB

Cut: WR Benjamin
FA: LB Barr, K Gostkowski/Gould, S Amos

Old 04-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AMazing I View Post
Oops, I missed that one. Good pick though. Oh well, Cowboys will find some other depth player.
Messing with you a bit.....

You had a solid draft for them.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBolt View Post
Hi CMB board,

I would like to use this thread to say I am very gratfull for opportunity to manage Chargers organisation into 2018 draft process.

During the draft I have noticed that there are so many committed fans to Chargers organisation who would do everything necessary for our Bolts to succeed.
I had a feeling that whole board would like to help me to free some salary and gain extra picks therefore I had some handicap as a rookie in such fantasy game.

Thank to you all.

Special thanks and appreciation to Woody for his commitment to this project, really can't find proper words to describe your effort.

Lets sum up Chargers moves.

Pre draft:
  • Did not match Panthers 2nd round Tender for T Will (pick 55)
  • Trade Jason Verrett and rd4 #119 pick for Rd 3 88th and Rd 6 197 Panthers
  • The Cowboys send RB Alfred Morris who just recently signed a cap friendly 2 year, $4mm extension to the Chargers in exchange for cap casualty and cut candidate DT Corey Liuget
  • Released Brandon Mebane
  • Signed Ndamukong Suh to 2 years 29 000 000 fully guaranteed / 16 500 000 in year one

Chargers has been left with approx 4 000 000 salary entering draft

2018 draft picks:
Rd 1 17
Rd 2 48 55
Rd 3 84 88
Rd 4 none
Rd 5 155
Rd 6 191 197
Rd 7 251

Picks:

17. CHARGERS EuroBolt. Taven Bryan DT Florida

I know that not everyone like this pick that's why I write few more words and I count on some constructive criticism here.

All the prospects that Chargers had on their big board have been drafted before 17th pick.
Unfortunately it was impossible to draft back.
Of course we could go with Offensive Lineman however TT decided to pick Tavon the best defensive lineman left in the draft - yes we have drafted for need.
  • Strength
  • Athleticism
  • Powerful tackler and is very refined in that department.
  • In run defense, Bryan has been noted to tie up blockers commonly which of course will allow LB to roam free and create havoc.

His father has an Army background so I believe there is no character concerns what more Tavon is a guy who would fill Chargers draft profile in this matter.

48. CHARGERS EuroBolt. Malik Jefferson LB Texas

Draft for need - the best LB left, addressed the biggest need in draft - run def.

55. CHARGERS EuroBolt. Mike Hughes CB/FS/KR University of central Florida

Truly believed the best player left in the draft, could play CB/S after trading JV that was also a need.

84. CHARGERS EuroBolt. Jamarco Jones OT the Ohio state university

Still do not understand how he fall to Chargers - fill great need at OT

148. CHARGERS Eurobolt. Rashaan Gaulden DB Tennessee

Another player that fall to us might be our starting corner in 2018.

191. CHARGERS EuroBolt. Andrew Brown DT Virginia

First choice was Ito Smith here however he has been drafted a pick earlier.

Trades during the draft:
  • rd3 88 to gain Saints 2nd 2019 round and Ted Ginn JR

For the record with 88 pick I have been considering:

Kerryon Johnson RB Auburn.
Quin Blanding S Virginia.
Deandrin Senat DL South Florida.

Saints rd 2 2019 become more appealing.
  • Rd 5 155 and Rd 6 197 to trade up 7 spots Rd 5 148 from Steelers
  • trade Barksdale for 2019 7th round with Cowboys

The only one UDFA I would love to invite for camp is:

Mark Walton, RB The U

Would love to get honest comments on Chargers draft process as well as some help with UDFA you guys would like to invite for camp.

Thank you one more time for letting me play with Chargers.

P.s. My second team Eagles - they have just won SB so who cares
overall i think this would be a great haul if it happened in real life.
getting future picks and filling needs without leaving much (if any) talent on the board.
i dont know if i'd feel completely comfortable with Alfred Morris completing our stable of RBs but i wouldn't be upset.
i wonder where you see Taven starting if you also have Suh
I like Taven but haven't considered him at 17 mainly because of his rawness.
for Dline, i like ot see them win with more technical refinement than crazy athleticism, which is what i think of TB.
the upside is there, and it's a valuable position, but again with Suh taking over for Luiget, i dont see TB starting his career at 1 tech
i like malik jefferson i alot and in fact, that really threw a monkey wrench in plans which ill explain in my own write-up.
you got us our return guy in Ginn
and i like all your guys and where you got them.
and i also think Jones can start day 1 at RT

id be very happy with this offseason
unfortunately, the Suh thing isn't going to happen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ASAP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittydog View Post
Dolphins
1.J.Rosen-QB, UCLA (IMO, Top 10 Prospect, Dolphins get a legit Franchise QB)
2.J.Reid-S, Stanford (Better than his pro-bowl brother, PON)
3.H.Hurst-TE, South Carolina (
Sure-handed with the versatility to line up all over, PON)
3.B.Smith-OG, Auburn (#4 guard prospect, possibly can play RT too.)
4.D.Pettis-WR/PR, Washington (
Can uncover on all three levels, dynamic PR)
4.J.Noteboom-OT, TCU (Left tackle traits, will be given chance to start at RT)
6. Target: B.Nichols-DT, Delaware (Depth for Interior D-Line)
7. Target: A.Chachere-CB, San Jose St. (Can never have too many fast CBs)
7. Target: C.Edmonds-RB, Fordham (Addition to RB depth chart)

49ers
1.M.Fitzpatrick-DB, Alabama (Elite Talent)
2.C.Kirk-WR, Texas A&M (Talented target for Jimmy G, and PR/KR)
3.R.Freeman-RB, Oregon (Good vision, great agility, powerful, great stiff arm)
3.B.O'Neill-OT, Pittsburgh (Terrific athlete and good pass blocker)
5.G.Igwebuike-S, Northwestern (Great tackler, fast, immediate impact on special team)
5.J.Franklin Myer-DE, Stephen F. Austin (Good combination of power & speed)
5.Z.Franklin-LB, Syracuse (3 time team Captain, motivated after combine snub)
6.L.Jacobs-LB, Wisconsin (Great athlete, can run, cover & tackle)
7. Target: K.Cunningham-OL, Cinncinnati (TE switched to OT, 24 straight starts LT)
7. Target:
C.Ward-CB, Middle Tennessee St. (Can never have too many fast CBs)
Miami:
gotta say, i like Rosen. not just the QB, but the man himself too. i look at friendlier faces in Darnold and Allen and ya they're pretty safe bets to not cause a stir and say the right/professional things, but to me, Rosen's style of communication gives off enough confidence for me to be comfortable with his criticisms. i think he is very much like a peyton manning both in style of play and demenor. in a nutshell, if i was the browns and wanted to trade for Odell beckem jr, i would feel much more confident doing so with Rosen as my rookie QB, than Darnold. Rosen has learned to toot the company line but also comes off as someone who isn't going to be comfortable being babied by any coach. i think he has a strong enough personality to go to any coach with any kind of criticism and not leave until something is worked out. i dont buy him not "needing football" argument. his injurt concerns are valid but if im the Dolphins, i take Rosen and dont look back.
you definitely addressed POS with talent without having to reach.
the lack of lower round picks is concerning for a team that need depth all around. i would have liked to seen the Dolphins trade down if they could.

9ers:
love fitz as your number one. im higher on him than i was whats his to the Jets last year and i was plenty high on him too. to me, mikah is a FS all day.
Kirk can be a number 1 weapon to JimmyG at some point
and my favorite value pick at RB - freeman is a beast
kinda surprised by Igwebuike but then again, i dont know what kind of depth your working with.
i like that you're surrounding jimmy G with your premium picks because he's going to need all the support he can get.
i still think you need more on the Oline

ASAP
Old 04-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
Miami:
gotta say, i like Rosen. not just the QB, but the man himself too. i look at friendlier faces in Darnold and Allen and ya they're pretty safe bets to not cause a stir and say the right/professional things, but to me, Rosen's style of communication gives off enough confidence for me to be comfortable with his criticisms. i think he is very much like a peyton manning both in style of play and demenor. in a nutshell, if i was the browns and wanted to trade for Odell beckem jr, i would feel much more confident doing so with Rosen as my rookie QB, than Darnold. Rosen has learned to toot the company line but also comes off as someone who isn't going to be comfortable being babied by any coach. i think he has a strong enough personality to go to any coach with any kind of criticism and not leave until something is worked out. i dont buy him not "needing football" argument. his injurt concerns are valid but if im the Dolphins, i take Rosen and dont look back.
you definitely addressed POS with talent without having to reach.
the lack of lower round picks is concerning for a team that need depth all around. i would have liked to seen the Dolphins trade down if they could.

9ers:
love fitz as your number one. im higher on him than i was whats his to the Jets last year and i was plenty high on him too. to me, mikah is a FS all day.
Kirk can be a number 1 weapon to JimmyG at some point
and my favorite value pick at RB - freeman is a beast
kinda surprised by Igwebuike but then again, i dont know what kind of depth your working with.
i like that you're surrounding jimmy G with your premium picks because he's going to need all the support he can get.
i still think you need more on the Oline
I tried with Dolphins to trade down in rd 3 & 4 and even tried to trade Tannehill to get more picks. No takers.

Igwebuike is a great tackler and fast. And at rd 5-7 I am looking for players who can play special teams coverage units and tackle, and backups with some upside.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
Bears

008) CB Denzel Ward * guys that give me pause post selection are Minkah, Maurice Hurst, Josh Jackson and Courtland…. read after the fact that they might be moving on from Kevin White, and didn’t real eyes that Minkah considers himself best in the slot, as thought he was more of a combo DB, and…. Hurst and Sutton, not sure just how good the either and/or of ‘em migh be ??

039) SS Ronnie Harrison * not a fan of this guy for the Chargers, and don’t think he’s gonna bust, and seems like a Bear, and over Malik Jefferson, Mark Hughes, Gallup and James Washington

105) DE Da’Shawn Hand * seems he fits in Chicago and is rumored to be going top 50…. was lookin’ Braden Smith, Nnadi, Orlando, Jamarco and Dorance Armstrong

115) OLB/DE Dorance Armstrong * this guy killed it standing up outside a year earlier and think he’s gonna be a steady pro that gets his job done setting the edge and rushing the passer…. wouldn’t mind him as a Charger…. Deon Cain and Brandon Parker were also coveted here

145) WR Auden Tate * too many good big receivers not to dip into the pool here…. like the designation as RZT

181) WR Simmie Cobbs * reminds me of a Pittsburgh Steeler wideout or a rough and tumble Chiefs receiver…. ‘nother guy that suspectin’ he gets his job done

224) OLB Marquis Haynes * this guy could make hay off the corner, and think he’s a good fit in Chi town…. other peoples on board included DE Jerry Tillery, OG Tyrone Crowder and OT Toby Weathersby
i like Minkah significantly more than Ward as a prospect but the bold is news to me. strange to me why he would come out and say that essentially diminishing his value. i would have to consider that too if i were the Bears. im very high on minkah and think he has all the traits to play any position but especially valuable as a cover corner or high FS.

good value throughout but personally like Nnadi over hand all day.
did you go heavy on defense on purpose?

ASAP
Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 AM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Skins

013) QB Josh Allen * as mentioned this pick was strictly business, as thinking that signing Alex Smith was a bit of a snore entertainment wise, and that the buzz of bringing in the strong armed Allen might stir the pot a little bit and make Smith @QB a little more bearable for the rank ‘n file in DC…. that said, and in real life woulda prolly got ‘em a QB for their defense, and as am not so much a Tremaine or Roquan guy, and would lean toward the either of Rashaan or LVE, neither of which am I keen on for the Chargers btw…. the other guy on my board was DaRon…. (boring)

044) CB Isaiah Oliver * personally think I prefer Carlton Davis @CB here (for the 'Skins), albeit had read that the they were looking for a “rangy” CB, and do like Oliver some…. Nnadi, DaShawn, Obo, Arden Key, Rashaad and Dallas Goedert were all names under consideration as well here

113) DT Trenton Thompson * suspect this guy is gonna be a solid day two talent, and over a personal fave in DB Tony Brown, along w/Kyzir White and Jerome Baker

149) RB Darrell Williams * was hopin’ for Bo here, and had Andrew Brown on the board also here

188) ILB Kendall Joseph * was distracted here, as think Joseph mighta been just as good a choice for the Titans, who also need help @ILB

231) RB Kamryn Pettaway * woulda been the choice here, as recall liking him some early on in the draft process

241) NT Reginald Khalil McKenzie * or Matt Elam, as I got a chuckle when I saw that Frozen had this guy on his draft board (Elam), as he is beyond boom or bust, and…. respect for the son of Reggie
so it looks like you snatched up Allen for entertainment purposes
of all the first-round QBs i dislike Allen the most
he looks as shaky in the pocket in his last game as he does his first game.
talk about mental processing, i think he is actually the slowest
looks like a deer in headlights when you ask him a question
if trenton thompson can fully recover, he has a chance to be a better interior penetrator () than even Hurst and Bryan
i like your pick of Williams better than the guy you were hoping for (Bo)

ASAP
Old 04-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Titans

025) WR Courtland Sutton * as mentioned, not sure just how good this guy might be…. if I’m the 49ers and this guy turns out to be Jerry Rice good, am gonna feel pretty darn foolish for passing on him @ten…. other choice was Isaiah Wynn, who btw still love for the Chargers

057) TE Mike Gesicki * was hoping for OT Tyrell Crosby, albeit am not passing on this guy, who is a mixed bag when looking @his tape, albeit again just can’t get over his measurables/background when considering him, and would love him as a Charger

089) DT Derrick Nnadi * went off my board for a straight bulldozer…. others on board included Tegray, Hercules, Anthony Miller, Lowell Lotulelei, Lorenzo Carter, Dorance Armstrong and Armani Watts

125) LB Tegray Scales * they need an ILB, and like this guy more than most any other @LB…. Deontay Burnett and Dante Pettis other names I had penciled in here

162) FS Armani Watts * day two talent that would be an absolute steal here

199) DT Lowell Lotulelei * suspect that despite the bad press that this guy turns out to be Brandon Mebane good and a day two value, albeit the guy I considered pretty much the whole way thru the draft that I woulda taken day two no problem, was Hercules Mata’afa, albeit again mostly wanted to see how far he would fall…. blessing if he lands w/the Chargers @OLB/DE (LEO)

UDFA) NT Olive Sagapolu * like this guy as an UDFA if it plays out this/that way
big Wynn fan here too, where on the Titians line does he fit?
Maritoa to Gesicki would be something
i think Lotulelei is a risky prospect but at 199 why not.
Mata'afa looks like an OTTO candidate to me

i think the Titans downhhill identity is a perfect fit for a weapon like Gesicki
and Watts is an absolute steal there

ASAP
Old 04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
first of all and foremost >> mad props to woodeye…. well done and way to persevere…. muchas gracias hombre,

what a great learning experience as a first timer and arm chair, couch surfing pundit…. gotta laugh at myself, as one of my pet peeves is when team Tommy John delivers some proclamation, like “last game changer available,” and…. first thing I did was “proclaim” that the Tennessee RedBears weren’t so interested in trades, as we were certain that there was enough talent afoot where we didn’t need to field draft day trade queries…. oversight #1, as key for future GMing is to know as many of said possible options may exist, and to explore trade (down) possibilities in advance, not to mention a thorough going over of said roster to see who I might deem as expendable, and who I might want to trade for (Mariota for Philip all day/any day…. not this year tho as am hoping for a SB for PR)

also learned that not only am I clearly a BPA guy rather than PON (not a good look whatsoever in mi libro) draftnik, but that I am even a dnb (do not bust) guy more so, as most GMs bust on about half their picks…. imagine if you could hit on a much higher percentage ??

did seem like some of us were stats/metrics guys more than what I would call myself, as an intangibles/energetic fit as foremost criteria, and that some of us fell in too/fairly easily w/the ongoing draft hype/hyperbole, and….

‘tis clearly evident that stockpiling picks, and doing our darnedest to accumulate multiple extra picks over the course of the (off)season needs to be much higher on the team Tommy John list of priorities…. mui importante, as there is just too much talent floating around day two/three not to nab an extra or coupla few players

‘nother thing I’d toss in there is that mindset is an important criteria for myself in evals, albeit we don’t really know so much ‘bout that, and…. do my best to intuitively sense how a player fits as a Charger, or at least as I envision what I’d like in a Chargers 53
every year im surprised to see how much talent "drops"
the 5th and 6th rounds become more exciting than the first 3 when i see the talent that falls
round 1-3 im just a nervous wreak, kinda like gameday sundays
i think you learned a lot about yourself and how you approach the draft which is the biggest reward from this exercise imo
what do you mean by mindset? the prospects' mindset?

ASAP
Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecho91 View Post
CMB Mock Draft Buffalo Bills

1st (12) Vita Vea, DT Washington
Tried to trade down from this pick to gain more picks for later rounds but, unfortunately was unable to trade down. As a result i selected the best player left on my board and arguably filled a need replacing Kyle Williams who will probably retire after this season.

1st (22) Mason Rudolph, QB Oklahoma State
Was the best quarterback available on my board at this point, i am high on Rudolph and think his ceiling is probably Kirk Cousins gives the Bills someone who can sit for a couple of years and then take over as starter after some of the kinks in his mechanics have been fixed.

2nd (53) Jaire Alexander, CB Louisville After Malik Jefferson was taken off the board a few picks earlier i looked into other Bills needs and CB was one of them. after reading a little about him on nfldraftscout i realised what a talent he was with potential first round projections i made sure Bills got their replacement for Phillip Gaines.

2nd (56) Rasheem Green, DE USC
Really wanted to trade down here but, with no suitors i decided to go BPA at position of need, Bills were 29th in sacks last year, Green after a Redshirt year will provide pressure for the foreseeable future and he must have good potential as a scout said he would have been a top ten pick next year if he had stayed in college.

3rd (65) Traded for Jawaun James, OT
Bills Needed a right tackle due to below average play at the position, i figured that Jamarco Jones would likely be gone at this point so i made a pre-draft trade for Jawaun James getting the Bills an above average tackle according to PFF statistics.

3rd (96) Darius Leonard, LB South Carolina State
After losing Preston Brown to the Bengals the Bills had a significant need at the linebacking postion and when Leonard dropped to my pick i jumped at the chance to take him provides Bills with a solid three down linebacker.

4th (111) Kerryon Johnson, RB Auburn
When i saw that Johnson was still one the board in the 4th i immediately looked into options to trade up, i ended trading a 6th to the Rams to move up 10 places to select Johnson. The guy is a stud who is fast and can do anything a true three down running back who will replace Lesean Mccoy in the future and handle 3rd down work for the moment. With a second round grade on him most places this is a huge value pick.

5th (166) Keke Coutee, WR Texas Tech
Was Asleep so unfortunately couldn't pick live but, Woodeye thankfully picked from a cluster on my behalf, Coutee gives the Bills a fast slot WR and a target for future QB Mason Rudolph on poor roster of wide receivers not named Kelvin Benjamin.

6th (187) Traded to move up in 4th

Vita Vea, hands down my favorite DT and its not as close as i thought it would be. dude just dominates and forces offenses to go another way and on a consistent basis. even at 12 i think hes great value
i dont like Rudolph and even considering the Bills' horrific QB situation, Rudolph is a 3rd rounder to me
and Alexander looks like a 1st round talent to me too
my biggest regret of the draft was passing on him and others to fill a need for my Steelers... Ugh!
I like Green too, but im not sure if hes the guy to put massive pressure on QBs. but for a 3rd rounder he definitely has tools you can coach up. like you said, he should have stayed in college one more year, so he'll be learning a lot his rookie year.
you got a starting RT in James
and finished with promising guys, very nice

ASAP