Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you grade the Chargers draft?
A 21 28.00%
B 44 58.67%
C 10 13.33%
D 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
I think we got tougher on defense by drafting smart, physical and versatile defenders. Love the drama leading to the James pick. Totally unexpected. Hope he has a health free OTA and summer camp. I can't wait for Derwin to be a starter on day 1 laying some nasty wood on the Chiefs. Go get him alpha dog!

The theme of versatility and physicality looks to be apparent with the other defenders selected.

Disappointed they didn't attempt to address OT. Denver plans to rotate Chubb, Miller, Shaquil Barrett and Shane Ray to pressure Rivers all game long. If Phillip gets injured, our season is over. I think RT is a liability. I've seen enough of Joe to know that he can't protect in crucial passing situations.

Justin Jackson checks all the boxes. Runs with some nice lateral moves something MG is unable to do. Can he return punts and kickoffs? This too is a major achilles that impacts field position. We shall see.

After seeing past picks fizzle out after a couple seasons. I give no grade until I see how these guys contribute well into the season maybe two.

Go Bolts!
With regards to the bolded, it matters more about the IOL for someone like Rivers than the OT IMO. Rivers is probably the best QB at navigating the pocket to avoid outside pressure. But he needs a pocket. And that's where Pouncey and Lamp come in hopefully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Here's Andy Benoit's take. It seems really dependent on what happens with White in the 4th and what position he will play.

Quote:
Los Angeles Chargers

Los Angeles had a hole at free safety with Tre Boston not re-signed, and Derwin James, whom some have compared to Sean Taylor, is a great way to fill it. The question is whether James will be strictly a centerfielder in Gus Bradleyís defense, or if heíll take over some of the box-safety responsibilities that hard-hitting Jahleel Addae has quietly handled with ease. That answer may ultimately come down to what is best for the Chargersí run defense, which needed repair. Last season their nickel run D struggled to the point that edge stars Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram had to take a more conservative pass-rushing approach, diminishing the defenseís greatest strength. GM Tom Telesco aimed to correct this with the second-round selection of linebacker Uchenna Nwosu and third-round pick of defensive tackle Justin Jones, who is here to replace an aging Brandon Mebane after this season. The only surprise in this draft came in the fourth round, when the Chargers went safety again, picking Kyzir White. With Addae and a lanky, overachieving backup like Adrian Phillips, that was not a position of need.

Grade: B+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Hall of Famer

D James is a major talent at S. He can make this an A draft year by himself if he plays up to his hype. Nwosu is a talent/speed upgrade at OTTO. DT J Jones should make his bones in games 1-4. We'll have an idea early on. Kyzir Soze (White) is a hitman at WILL/SS hybrid and STs. Quis, C/OG depth. Cantrell is a physical, tough-guy WR with good hands and balance. We'll just have to see what kind of route runner he is. Jackson had record production at Northwestern but the NFL is another level. I wish him all the best. We could use another RB.

I'll have to see them play a few games or so to try to give a serious grade but the group should flesh out some areas where we were a tad thin. Our 1st 4 should impact the run D that gave up a league worst YPC.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Were all of Tre Boston's 5 int's last year stellar or were some of them pop fly int's? Isn't he still a free agent? Same with Chris McCain.

Last edited by Caslon; 04-28-2018 at 11:44 PM..
Old 04-29-2018, 12:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Pete Prisco's grades -

Derwin James A

Uchenna Nwosu B-

Justin Jones B

Kyzir White B

Scott Quessenberry B+

Dylan Cantrell A-

Justin Jackson B+

Can't really grade a draft class before they ever hit the field, but anyone who gives the Bolts a grade lower than a B for this draft is probably just bitter they didn't take the players they wanted. Fantastic value from pick one to pick seven in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:42 AM
All-Pro

Left home in the 6th...just got back from "Boys are back in town" evening...I will grade in the morning...but real quick...I think it all hinges on Justin Jones...if he is the guy they saw in the Senior bowl, it could be an A...if they missed, they better not believe a safety, no matter how awesome he is, is the answer to the 31st rush defense ranking...or this is gonna be another close but no cigar season.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:44 AM
Rookie

Overall draft grade: C+/B-

17: I was pleasantly surprised (actually Thrilled!) Derwin James fell here. He is extremely talented and I look forward to seeing how Gus uses him. But his skill set is likely best utilized near the line of scrimmage which overlaps with the skill sets of Addae, Phillips, Brown, and Jenkins. This pick is a huge upgrade but not at a position of need.

48: I was expecting the Uchenna Nwosu pick. He fits SAM/OTTO so is a decent upgrade at a position of need. Also, this pick was telegraphed by Walter Football over a month ago:
Walterfootball NFL Rumors - March 21 Updates:
"Verbatim with 100-percent certainty the Chargers are targeting Uchenna Nwosu with the 48th pick in Round 2. Says he fits the scheme. They are looking for help at linebacker. Anthony Lynn and Gus Bradley among large contingent on site." - , RosterWatch.com
http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#ixzz5E1fAz0sg

84: I anticipated a DT here (1T or 3T) but was surprised by the name. With M.Hurst, H.Phillips, T.Settle, and others still on the board I was surprised by the Justin Jones selection. I actually didn't recognize the name and had to look him up. The pundits seem to like him but NC State had a ton of talent at D Line. Just about anyone would look good working along side Bradley Chubb, Kentavius Street, and B.J. Hill. I hope I'm wrong and he is the DT-1T we need to rotate with and push Mebane.

119: With Liuget, our starting DT-3T, suspended 4 games and 1st round talent Maurice Hurst still on the board here in the 4th, I was surprised by the Kyzir White pick. Kyzir may be talented, but with needs at DT-3T, OT, ILB, FS, a 2nd pass catching TE, or maybe even a big bodied complimentary RB (Ballage?) we needed another hybrid LB/Box Safety about as much as we needed another interior O lineman or WR.

155: Oh wait. Damn. Scott Quessenberry. Solid player but with the likes of Jamarco Jones, Troy Fumagalli, and Mike White still on the board, was the best value really another center?

191: Ditto. Dylan Cantrell. We traded Inman last offseason because we had too much talent at WR. Will this guy get a chance to play? Can he contribute on Special Teams? Do we know? Was there anyone available who might have contributed? (How about CB Holton Hill? Could he return kicks?)

251: I know almost nothing about Justin Jackson but at least we had a need for RB depth.

Collectively I gave this draft a C+/B- grade. Derwin and Uchenna are talented fits but I will be surprised if the rest of the lot can get on the field and contribute this year.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:41 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Can't really grade a draft class before they ever hit the field, but anyone who gives the Bolts a grade lower than a B for this draft is probably just bitter they didn't take the players they wanted. Fantastic value from pick one to pick seven in my opinion.
guilty, and.... isn't that always the case

ps. nice breakdown FAB Fan
Old 04-29-2018, 01:46 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post
155: Oh wait. Damn. Scott Quessenberry. Solid player but with the likes of Jamarco Jones, Troy Fumagalli, and Mike White still on the board, was the best value really another center?
think peoples are sleeping on Spencer Pulley and fell in w/the wrong crowd, as obviously he has some improving/work to do, and.... am not gonna be the guy that doesn't give him credit due, as he was at the helm of that Oline that drastically improved to fewest sacks allowed, a top five wideout and a 1k yard rusher.... his mindset is top notch and if Pouncey is smart, can prolly learn a thing or two from Mr. Vanderbilt.

SP > Q
Old 04-29-2018, 02:38 AM
Rookie

B+ (89.9%)

I want to give it an A, however, I think we needed another stud OT (considering how many injuries we have each year) for it to be an ďAĒ draft. I think we got a lot more veresitile, smarter, faster, physical, and did I mention faster? I believe Denver is building a dynamic DL that can get to the QB and we seemed to ignore it. I know we (and a LOT of people) forget we get Lamp back and I hope that really helps.

Our DT situation is still a head scratcher. I know Mo Hurst was a CMB favorite but I think he had some character issues and thatís why we didnít select him. Still our selection was solid. I know that D line he came from a lot of people are saying they made him look good, but I think it goes both ways. He cleared the path for Chubb and Iím hoping he is a solid addition this year.

I like the RB we picked up and think he can be the 1-2 punch to Gordon and continue to provide some consistency to that position.

This is also the most excited Iíve been for our UDFA class. I think thereís a lot of potential and pre-season will be a lot of fun.
I would have liked Luke Falk at QB. Iím 10000% biased because Iím a WSU fan, but I think he would be a good fit in our system and a good replacement for Rivers. He had ZERO OL help in Pullman and that was his downfall is he couldnít find consistency, but man the kid is tough and stays in there and doesnít give up.

But what do I know. Iím a ďrookieĒ thatís been a lurker for the past 11 years that believes we will have the best D in the league. Incoming hot take.

''drinking orange juice out-of-a champagne glass'' :Helmet:

Last edited by sdubious21103; 04-29-2018 at 02:49 AM..