Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2018, 02:49 PM
& ramblin' man

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/...several-teams/

so last year (and most oft in years prior), and as am sure IAM will attest to (that Mo Hurts).... an awful lot of teams pass on pass rushers/Dlinemen that PFF puffs up as an how do so many peoples not see what we see in him ??

who is that guy this year ?? Brian Burns ??

who else ?? Omenihu ?? Dre'Mont Jones ?? or.... ??

ps. and for the record, and no matter who the undervalued wonderDlineman might be.... am still squarely in the Derrick Brown/Dexter Lawrence camp.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/...several-teams/

so last year (and most oft in years prior), and as am sure IAM will attest to (that Mo Hurts).... an awful lot of teams pass on pass rushers/Dlinemen that PFF puffs up as an how do so many peoples not see what we see in him ??

who is that guy this year ?? Brian Burns ??

who else ?? Omenihu ?? Dre'Mont Jones ?? or.... ??

ps. and for the record, and no matter who the undervalued wonderDlineman might be.... am still squarely in the Derrick Brown/Dexter Lawrence camp.
Enjoyed the article, Beachcomber. I remember watching Chis Jone's sophmore tape and thinking, "What's so special about this guy". That was during his junior year season and DraftBreakdown hadn't posted any of his junior tape yet. Then someone directed me toward his junior tape (think it was IAM) and you could see the difference (improvement). I think the trick is finding someone that shows improvement. Last year, it was Taven Bryant that had showed massive improvement between college years. Bryant hasn't done much, yet. But then again, he's stuck behind Malik Jackson. We'll see. And then there was Louis Nix....

The guys I think that might be good that are under-valued...

Kingsley Keke. A guy that played vastly different rolls in his senior vs. junior years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUf4gg19nO0 (#88 DT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78oqxfd1Vsc (#8 DE)

Renell Wren. Long frame. Generates power. More of a 3-tech but could put more weight on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkrrb404eo
Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
Enjoyed the article, Beachcomber. I remember watching Chis Jone's sophmore tape and thinking, "What's so special about this guy". That was during his junior year season and DraftBreakdown hadn't posted any of his junior tape yet. Then someone directed me toward his junior tape (think it was IAM) and you could see the difference (improvement). I think the trick is finding someone that shows improvement. Last year, it was Taven Bryant that had showed massive improvement between college years. Bryant hasn't done much, yet. But then again, he's stuck behind Malik Jackson. We'll see. And then there was Louis Nix....

The guys I think that might be good that are under-valued...

Kingsley Keke. A guy that played vastly different rolls in his senior vs. junior years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUf4gg19nO0 (#88 DT)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78oqxfd1Vsc (#8 DE)

Renell Wren. Long frame. Generates power. More of a 3-tech but could put more weight on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkrrb404eo
think "that" guy might be Dre'Mont Jones this year.... more of a pass rusher guy and some even say he's a liability against the run, albeit he does get the Gerald McCoy compare.

and would def lean toward Wren over Keke, as don't know how much of it was the synthetic field, albeit liked Wren's locomotion and pursuit as compared to Keke, who sometimes looked like he was just spinning in the wash cycle, or when in open space oft times just treading water, and.... Wren is def athletic looking and is forecast to be a combine freak, and w/a DeForest Buckner lite compare.

personally was spoiled by Vita Vea and Mo Hurst last year, and neither Wren nor Keke compare.... looking forward to see how D. Brown, Wilkins and Dexter shake out this draft season.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
think "that" guy might be Dre'Mont Jones this year.... more of a pass rusher guy and some even say he's a liability against the run, albeit he does get the Gerald McCoy compare.

and would def lean toward Wren over Keke, as don't know how much of it was the synthetic field, albeit liked Wren's locomotion and pursuit as compared to Keke, who sometimes looked like he was just spinning in the wash cycle, or when in open space oft times just treading water, and.... Wren is def athletic looking and is forecast to be a combine freak, and w/a DeForest Buckner lite compare.

personally was spoiled by Vita Vea and Mo Hurst last year, and neither Wren nor Keke compare.... looking forward to see how D. Brown, Wilkins and Dexter shake out this draft season.
Yeah, I'm hoping for one of those three (Brown, Wilkins, Lawrence) in the 1st round. 1-tech is our bigger need. 3-tech would be a lesser need. I think Liuget gets released, then Philon and Jones become our 3-techs. TT (and Gus) prefer their 3-techs to be strong against the run. Don't know if Dre'mont would be effective against the run. But he definitely has the ability to use his hands against pass blockers and get after the QB.

If we could draft Lawrence, re-sign Square... our DT's would be: Lawrence/Square, Philon/Jones. In that scenario, a late round DT round out the DL. That's where I think Wren or Keke would fit. I actually think Keke was being played out of position this year (DE) and was better his junior yeat @ 3-tech.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Derrick Brown, Dexter Lawrence size gosh all mighty (350 lbs)? and Christian Wilkins athleticism/ versatility jump out at you when glancing at their film for the first time. Will we even have a shot at these guys given our draft position? James fell to us so maybe luck will be on our side in April.

I like Brown's motor...we're missing a defensive tackle who can pass rush consistently from that position. It's early though good to see what's out there. I don't really watch college football during the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltnut View Post
At the 1-tech position, I like: Derrick Brown (Auburn), Raekwon Davis (Alabama), and Dexter Lawrence (Clemson). Any of these guys could go in the 1st round according to experts. I would even throw Christian Wilkins into the mix (although experience is at 3-tech).

Mid/late round guys include: Greg Gaines (Washington), Daylon Mack (Texas A&M), Chris Slayton (Syracuse), and Kingsley Keke (Texas A&M)... more of a 3-tech.

Any others you've seen and like...?
Old 12-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Derrick Brown, Dexter Lawrence size gosh all mighty (350 lbs)? and Christian Wilkins athleticism/ versatility jump out at you when glancing at their film for the first time. Will we even have a shot at these guys given our draft position? James fell to us so maybe luck will be on our side in April.

I like Brown's motor...we're missing a defensive tackle who can pass rush consistently from that position. It's early though good to see what's out there. I don't really watch college football during the season.
Lawrence just tested positive for PED's and will miss his Bowl game. Maybe he slides...?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:03 PM
Hall of Famer

It is crazy talk to say that we will not retain Mebane/Liuget,
and invest 1st round capital in a 1Tech/3Tech with a red flag.

Justin Jones will be given another year to develop,
and we will address issues at other positions early.

The Dline is someone else's obsession.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:23 PM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post

crazy talk is spending near $15m on your DT duo that does didley against the run anytime the lineup is without Denzel.... not to mention that they do little to nothing in the way of keeping our LBs clean, and how is that their pass rush production screams show me the money ?? !!

more reasonable talk is resigning Square and Philon, and adding someone from the draft to join JJ.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeye2000 View Post

There's no way to even know if Mebane wants to come back (daughters pending surgery and recovery). And Liuget's PED use, along with injuries, suggest his body is breaking down.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:03 AM
Rookie

I honestly think they beef up the middle with a vet in free agency and in the draft. With guys like Malcom Brown, Bennie Logan and even Daniel McCullers available, they could really focus on a spot that needs to continue to get better. Run D/Space Eaters