Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Stats wise (NFL.com) Chargers defense ranks:

23rd in run defense 97 yds/ game
13th in pass defense 249 yds/game
Tied 14th in sacks 35
#1 in interceptions 18

We have yet to see Jason Verrett and Joey Bosa on the same field due to injuries.

These guys are emerging NFL stars along with Casey Hayward. Liuget is not impressive to me. Ataochu, Perryman and Jaytavis Brown have to prove they can finish a whole season. At best top 10 defense...we shall see.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
You are very general in your opinion. Since this thread is regards DL, allegedly the NFL's best, who among Bosa-Mebane -Liuget-Ingram fills the DL with marginal, poorly coached (? we haven't seen them play for this DC), low talented players?
Sarcasm SJ......

I have stated multiple times I think this defence is on the cusp of being very good. Talent is there mostly, they just need solid leadership and belief....and of course health.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Palepoi and Square are good enough to start.

Ingram can easily be moved around to take advantage of his versatility. LEO-SAM-WILL.

Bosa will get snaps at 6Tech DE-3Tech DT-LEO.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:16 AM
#1 Bolts Fan from N.Y.

I wouldn't rank us based on starters that is plain silly! They are usually injured by week 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New York
, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New England, San Diego, Denver, Indianapolis, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Miami, Arizona, Baltimore, Green Bay, Carolina, Jacksonville and Kansas City
2018= Seattle!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve- #1 Fan from NY!

Favorite Player: Stan Humphries

Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Hall of Famer

We know what we got from Bosa/Ingram, two of the best edge rushers in the game. Mebane was really good last year but got hurt, should still have another good year or 2 in him.

The key is going to be guys like Square, Palepoi, Reid, Liuget stepping up in order to be considered the best defensive line in the league.

I thought Square looked solid against the run but he only played in 1/3 of the defensive snaps, can he double that and still be productive?

Honestly I am not too high on Palepoi at all. I think he could be replaced in training camp by another undrafted free agent guy.

Reid looked good and coming in and providing an interior pass rush but again that was for only 7 games...can he do that for a full season?

Liuget had one of his worst years of his career last year which is strange because for the longest he was the only one worth anything on the D-line and then when he finally gets some guys that can play next to him he struggles. I think he is still a solid run defender but his pass rushing skills are lacking.

There are a lot of what ifs there and unknowns, even Mebane is a little unknown with his age and able to stay healthy for an entire year.

Someone needs to step up besides the Ingram,Mebane,Bosa in order to take that next step.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Yes I share you're sentiments. Reason why I was hoping the Bolts would select Jonathan Allen to fortify the inside of the Dline. Liuget isn't meeting that role at this time.

Palepoi adds pressure on stunts to the inside last year but he is more of a role player. Square did a nice job filling in for Mebane last half of the season. Reid is very active; he may impress if able to come back from his knee injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0j0 View Post
We know what we got from Bosa/Ingram, two of the best edge rushers in the game. Mebane was really good last year but got hurt, should still have another good year or 2 in him.

The key is going to be guys like Square, Palepoi, Reid, Liuget stepping up in order to be considered the best defensive line in the league.

I thought Square looked solid against the run but he only played in 1/3 of the defensive snaps, can he double that and still be productive?

Honestly I am not too high on Palepoi at all. I think he could be replaced in training camp by another undrafted free agent guy.

Reid looked good and coming in and providing an interior pass rush but again that was for only 7 games...can he do that for a full season?

Liuget had one of his worst years of his career last year which is strange because for the longest he was the only one worth anything on the D-line and then when he finally gets some guys that can play next to him he struggles. I think he is still a solid run defender but his pass rushing skills are lacking.

There are a lot of what ifs there and unknowns, even Mebane is a little unknown with his age and able to stay healthy for an entire year.

Someone needs to step up besides the Ingram,Mebane,Bosa in order to take that next step.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Sarcasm SJ......

I have stated multiple times I think this defence is on the cusp of being very good. Talent is there mostly, they just need solid leadership and belief....and of course health.
Shucks, I whiffed on the sarcasm. Your words did seem uncharacteristically harsh.
Sorry 'bout that.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
Stats wise (NFL.com) Chargers defense ranks:

23rd in run defense 97 yds/ game
13th in pass defense 249 yds/game
Tied 14th in sacks 35
#1 in interceptions 18

We have yet to see Jason Verrett and Joey Bosa on the same field due to injuries.

These guys are emerging NFL stars along with Casey Hayward. Liuget is not impressive to me. Ataochu, Perryman and Jaytavis Brown have to prove they can finish a whole season. At best top 10 defense...we shall see.
The 2016 D ranked blah-blah-blah.
We haven't seen this defense play so no point in getting carried away but the potential is ridiculously good.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Sarcasm SJ......

I have stated multiple times I think this defence is on the cusp of being very good.
Quote:
Shucks, I whiffed on the sarcasm. Your words did seem uncharacteristically harsh.
Sorry 'bout that.
Quote:
The 2016 D ranked blah-blah-blah.
We haven't seen this defense play so no point in getting carried away but the potential is ridiculously good.
Laugh out loud...
Old 07-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Hall of Famer

we do win a superbowl every july, thats for sure