Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM
woodeye2000's Avatar
woodeye2000 woodeye2000 is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: san jose
Posts: 24,706
Default

[Black NFL players] had misread the historic moment, they were not speaking truth to power, rather they were figures of pathos, mindlessly loyal to a black identity that had run its course.
Shelby Steele


Chargeroo is USMC.
He invented CMB.
Let the man have his say.


__________________
....................
26 December 1965.
Beginning of a long nightmare.

  #22  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM
sdchrger's Avatar
sdchrger sdchrger is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hotlanta
Posts: 1,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Who's we?
The snowflake contingency.
  #23  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:20 AM
frozendisc's Avatar
frozendisc frozendisc is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cotes-des-neiges, Montreal
Posts: 15,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Threads that don't belong, and locked up, posted by HOF Chargeroo ??????????

Oh, I laugh. Silly, silly people.

If Roo wants to start a thread on the color of Roger Goodell's underwear (something I am personally researching currently) then that's the way its gonna be.

Yea, Midtown got a little ahead of the cart, and clearly went down the wrong path.

The support for Roo is similar to the support for this protesting to go away.

The NFL should have been rigid from the start, bet they are wanting a 'do over' on this.....
__________________
1909...the year excellence started.


__________________
GO BOLTS !
  #24  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Canmore's Avatar
Canmore Canmore is offline
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming
Posts: 1,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
The players say its about protesting police brutality.

So far this year, in Chicago alone, there have been 242 people shot and killed. 2600 wounded. Out of all those, the police are responsible for 4 shootings.

Where are the players protesting about people brutality? Detroit? Atlanta? Baltimore? Miami? All have similar stats, yet I don't see any players protesting there about people murdering other people over drugs, money, or whatever.

Why the selective outrage over officer involved shootings?

What narrative are we trying to forward?

The players lost the plot a long time ago. They say it's not about disrespecting the flag or the military.

But if I'm protesting the dishwasher, and you think I'm protesting the coffeemaker, whose fault is that? Yours or mine?

This isn't a 1st amendment issue. The Constitution doesn't apply to privately owned business or property. I don't have the right to do anything on your time or property unless you're okay with it and give me permission.

The NFL isn't okay with it.
Amen......
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #25  
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 PM
jacob hester jr jacob hester jr is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: waco
Posts: 186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
you say football, not politics. - That's exactly my complaint. They should keep their politics off the field. I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get politics.


The protest is saying its wrong for the police to shoot unarmed blacks. It has nothing to do with the military or the flag. In politics there are two sides to an argument. Please explain to me how it is right to shoot unarmed blacks and then Ill concede its a political argument.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 07-22-2018 at 03:58 PM..
  #26  
Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 PM
frozendisc's Avatar
frozendisc frozendisc is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cotes-des-neiges, Montreal
Posts: 15,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob hester jr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
you say football, not politics. - That's exactly my complaint. They should keep their politics off the field. I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get politics.


The protest is saying its wrong for the police to shoot unarmed blacks. It has nothing to do with the military or the flag. In politics there are two sides to an argument. Please explain to me how it is right to shoot unarmed blacks and then Ill concede its a political argument.

You are taking the use of the word/term 'politics' far too literal.

Perhaps if Roo had said 'I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get protests' you would understand the frustration felt by him and many other fans of the NFL.
__________________
1909...the year excellence started.


__________________
GO BOLTS !

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 07-22-2018 at 03:59 PM..
  #27  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Bolt4Life's Avatar
Bolt4Life Bolt4Life is offline
Release DJ Fluker!!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 20,607
Default

Screw da po-po!


  #28  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Da_Cha-gers Da_Cha-gers is offline
Go Chargers!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Charger Paradise
Posts: 7,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob hester jr View Post
The protest is saying its wrong for the police to shoot unarmed blacks. It has nothing to do with the military or the flag. In politics there are two sides to an argument. Please explain to me how it is right to shoot unarmed blacks and then Ill concede its a political argument.
First, I think most reasonable people don't wanna see other people being killed needlessly without some kind of reasonable cause by law enforcement, for me it also includes the high homicides in bigger cities such as Chicago that typically aren't law enforcement related (like ChargerTom's post mentioned) and don't get nearly the attention or public outcry they may deserve .... I think those lives matter too, but maybe they don't help with "the cause"?

Onto the bolded, here are a couple quotes from articles back at the beginning of the protest in late Aug/early Sept 2016 by C. Kap and former Pres. Obama:

C. Kap quote:
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color, "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ational-anthem

Former Pres. Obama:
he's (C. Kap) exercising his constitutional right to make a statement.

As a general matter, when it comes to the flag, and the national anthem, and the meaning it holds for our men and women in uniform and those who fought for us, that is a tough thing for them to get past, to then hear what his deeper concerns are.

Link - note the dates for both articles:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ght-to-protest

Hopefully they'll get something figured out regarding the protest of the flag/anthem/country etc. .... I hope both sides don't forget the fans have a right to protest or boycott also (I'm not advocating this, just saying) and their the one's buying the tix, paying for parking, merchandise, concessions, providing eyeballs for advertising revenue/TV ratings etc.

Go Chargers!
  #29  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:16 PM
dekkerbasser dekkerbasser is offline
1
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 1
Posts: 37,881
Default

Times are changing. It is no longer the age of standing for your country and it is more standing up for your rights. However, that's quite the catch 22; the country you dont stand for gave you the right(s) to not stand for the national anthem.

What are the harms of not standing for your flag during a 2 minute song? If the person sits does that mean they do not respect what was done back in the 18th and 19th and 20th centuries? Does it mean they're flipping the bird to the country as a whole or towards a particular person? Does it mean they're not grateful to be in the US and be playing in the NFL?

So what are the harms? It hurts Pride and Tradition and Respect and Love for this country? If those that stood for our country were to get butt hurt over that then I dont think this country would've existed.

These people have the afforded right to go ahead and act on their own accord. If the NFL wants to tell them to stop and relinquish them (for lack of better words) to the CFL then that's up to the NFL. However it is not up to the NFL to tell a person if they are patriotic or not. It's not up to the NFL to go ahead and tell individuals anything.

Side note: If the NFL was so enthralled with patriotism then remind me why we, in San Diego, didnt have any jet fly-overs the last two years before they moved to Slack Angeles? SD is a military county...yet them people who wanted to save money decided to no longer allow jet fly-overs. Guess who them people were...
__________________


  #30  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Xenos's Avatar
Xenos Xenos is online now
Madness? This is Chargers
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I don't agree with number 1. I can see myself agreeing with the solution, if you bribed me.

But number 2 ??? Why on earth would the league "involve" the players and the union while setting their own policy ? Go start the PFL, and make your own policies. Heck, roll around on the ground with puppies on the sidelines. No one is going to watch or pay, but have at it.
Why should they involve the players and union? Because that's how labor union relationship work. You have to at least involve the union, otherwise this ends up happening:


https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/19/na...flpa-statement
Quote:
The NFL and NFL Players Association released a joint statement on Thursday on the league's national anthem policy.
"No new rules relating to the anthem will be issued or enforced for the next several weeks while these confidential discussions are ongoing," the statement said.
It also said the two parties "have come to a standstill agreement on the NFLPA's grievance and on the NFL's anthem policy."
The NFLPA filed a grievance challenging the leauge's new anthem policy on July 10.
In other words, the NFL may think that it can do whatever it wants, but it will probably end up backfiring against them pretty quickly. Especially when it is against perceived social issues.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!

Last edited by Xenos; 07-22-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 AM.


© 2018 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.