Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM
Hall of Famer

[Black NFL players] had misread the historic moment, they were not speaking truth to power, rather they were figures of pathos, mindlessly loyal to a black identity that had run its course.
Shelby Steele

Chargeroo is USMC.
He invented CMB.
Let the man have his say.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Who's we?
The snowflake contingency.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Threads that don't belong, and locked up, posted by HOF Chargeroo ??????????

Oh, I laugh. Silly, silly people.

If Roo wants to start a thread on the color of Roger Goodell's underwear (something I am personally researching currently) then that's the way its gonna be.

Yea, Midtown got a little ahead of the cart, and clearly went down the wrong path.

The support for Roo is similar to the support for this protesting to go away.

The NFL should have been rigid from the start, bet they are wanting a 'do over' on this.....

Old 07-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Do! Do Not! ...No Try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
The players say its about protesting police brutality.

So far this year, in Chicago alone, there have been 242 people shot and killed. 2600 wounded. Out of all those, the police are responsible for 4 shootings.

Where are the players protesting about people brutality? Detroit? Atlanta? Baltimore? Miami? All have similar stats, yet I don't see any players protesting there about people murdering other people over drugs, money, or whatever.

Why the selective outrage over officer involved shootings?

What narrative are we trying to forward?

The players lost the plot a long time ago. They say it's not about disrespecting the flag or the military.

But if I'm protesting the dishwasher, and you think I'm protesting the coffeemaker, whose fault is that? Yours or mine?

This isn't a 1st amendment issue. The Constitution doesn't apply to privately owned business or property. I don't have the right to do anything on your time or property unless you're okay with it and give me permission.

The NFL isn't okay with it.
Amen......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
you say football, not politics. - That's exactly my complaint. They should keep their politics off the field. I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get politics.

The protest is saying its wrong for the police to shoot unarmed blacks. It has nothing to do with the military or the flag. In politics there are two sides to an argument. Please explain to me how it is right to shoot unarmed blacks and then Ill concede its a political argument.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 07-22-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob hester jr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
you say football, not politics. - That's exactly my complaint. They should keep their politics off the field. I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get politics.

The protest is saying its wrong for the police to shoot unarmed blacks. It has nothing to do with the military or the flag. In politics there are two sides to an argument. Please explain to me how it is right to shoot unarmed blacks and then Ill concede its a political argument.

You are taking the use of the word/term 'politics' far too literal.

Perhaps if Roo had said 'I tune in to watch an exciting game and I get protests' you would understand the frustration felt by him and many other fans of the NFL.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 07-22-2018 at 03:59 PM..
Old 07-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Release DJ Fluker!!

Screw da po-po!

Old 07-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Go Chargers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob hester jr View Post
First, I think most reasonable people don't wanna see other people being killed needlessly without some kind of reasonable cause by law enforcement, for me it also includes the high homicides in bigger cities such as Chicago that typically aren't law enforcement related (like ChargerTom's post mentioned) and don't get nearly the attention or public outcry they may deserve .... I think those lives matter too, but maybe they don't help with "the cause"?

Onto the bolded, here are a couple quotes from articles back at the beginning of the protest in late Aug/early Sept 2016 by C. Kap and former Pres. Obama:

C. Kap quote:
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color, "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ational-anthem

Former Pres. Obama:
he's (C. Kap) exercising his constitutional right to make a statement.

As a general matter, when it comes to the flag, and the national anthem, and the meaning it holds for our men and women in uniform and those who fought for us, that is a tough thing for them to get past, to then hear what his deeper concerns are.

Link - note the dates for both articles:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ght-to-protest

Hopefully they'll get something figured out regarding the protest of the flag/anthem/country etc. .... I hope both sides don't forget the fans have a right to protest or boycott also (I'm not advocating this, just saying) and their the one's buying the tix, paying for parking, merchandise, concessions, providing eyeballs for advertising revenue/TV ratings etc.

Go Chargers!
Old 07-22-2018, 05:16 PM

Times are changing. It is no longer the age of standing for your country and it is more standing up for your rights. However, that's quite the catch 22; the country you dont stand for gave you the right(s) to not stand for the national anthem.

What are the harms of not standing for your flag during a 2 minute song? If the person sits does that mean they do not respect what was done back in the 18th and 19th and 20th centuries? Does it mean they're flipping the bird to the country as a whole or towards a particular person? Does it mean they're not grateful to be in the US and be playing in the NFL?

So what are the harms? It hurts Pride and Tradition and Respect and Love for this country? If those that stood for our country were to get butt hurt over that then I dont think this country would've existed.

These people have the afforded right to go ahead and act on their own accord. If the NFL wants to tell them to stop and relinquish them (for lack of better words) to the CFL then that's up to the NFL. However it is not up to the NFL to tell a person if they are patriotic or not. It's not up to the NFL to go ahead and tell individuals anything.

Side note: If the NFL was so enthralled with patriotism then remind me why we, in San Diego, didnt have any jet fly-overs the last two years before they moved to Slack Angeles? SD is a military county...yet them people who wanted to save money decided to no longer allow jet fly-overs. Guess who them people were...

Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I don't agree with number 1. I can see myself agreeing with the solution, if you bribed me.

But number 2 ??? Why on earth would the league "involve" the players and the union while setting their own policy ? Go start the PFL, and make your own policies. Heck, roll around on the ground with puppies on the sidelines. No one is going to watch or pay, but have at it.
Why should they involve the players and union? Because that's how labor union relationship work. You have to at least involve the union, otherwise this ends up happening:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/19/na...flpa-statement
Quote:
The NFL and NFL Players Association released a joint statement on Thursday on the league's national anthem policy.
"No new rules relating to the anthem will be issued or enforced for the next several weeks while these confidential discussions are ongoing," the statement said.
It also said the two parties "have come to a standstill agreement on the NFLPA's grievance and on the NFL's anthem policy."
The NFLPA filed a grievance challenging the leauge's new anthem policy on July 10.
In other words, the NFL may think that it can do whatever it wants, but it will probably end up backfiring against them pretty quickly. Especially when it is against perceived social issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unleash the Rivers!!!

Last edited by Xenos; 07-22-2018 at 05:47 PM..
Closed Thread