Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
It really pains me to say this, but this loss to Miami is mostly on Rivers. And not only the loss to the Fins. And what's sad is that this was a winnable game. Yes, the Fins had a strong pass rush, but there were way too many downs when Rivers held onto the ball too long, then forced it into coverage, instead of throwing the rock out of bounds.

Over the years, I've watched Rivers lose quite a few winnable games. As soon as he gets flustered from a pass rush and/or sack, he gets so amped up he subsequently makes very poor pass choices, throwing it into coverage, which results in interceptions, which totally change the momentum of games. Even after throwing one or two picks, given second and third chances even, he is apparently unable to shake off the jitters, and ends up making more costly mistakes.

Yes, I know Rivers is one of the top statistical QB's in the game, but unfortunately, he just is not able to close the deal when a lot of games are on the line. As long as the Bolts have Rivers as their QB, I'm afraid they will continue to be mediocre. Time to start looking for Rivers' replacement in the draft.
I think you could be right. I have seen Mr. Rivers throw interceptions in close games, and get so mad at the situation, the players, the fans and more than likely at himself that he can't or won't 'shake it off'. But on the other hand I have also seen same situations arise and he will 'shake it off' connect the dots and win the game famously. I won't say he is inconsistent, but when these situations crop up they affect his game somewhat. I also see him wait in the pocket and see his window of opportunity vanish. This is not due to his o-line, he has a tremendous o-line year in and year out. They do their jobs and they cannot create miracles. Mr. Rivers takes advantage of his 'assets' and exploits them to his detriment. All that being said, Mr. Rivers is one of the Elite quarterbacks in the League. He has been so since his Sophomore year or thereabouts. I strongly agree that the Chargers need to start grooming the next Quarterback now. The problem with that is that it is a Gump situation. Quarterbacks are like a box of chocolates, you never what you're going to get. You may get Dan Fouts or Ryan Leaf. Also, getting the Heisman Trophy winner is no guarantee. But, get someone in there soon. Not sure how long Mr. Rivers has and then it will fall to the back-up QB. Troy Lawson
Old 11-21-2016, 01:06 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman1007 View Post
I think you could be right. I have seen Mr. Rivers throw interceptions in close games, and get so mad at the situation, the players, the fans and more than likely at himself that he can't or won't 'shake it off'. But on the other hand I have also seen same situations arise and he will 'shake it off' connect the dots and win the game famously. I won't say he is inconsistent, but when these situations crop up they affect his game somewhat. I also see him wait in the pocket and see his window of opportunity vanish. This is not due to his o-line, he has a tremendous o-line year in and year out. They do their jobs and they cannot create miracles. Mr. Rivers takes advantage of his 'assets' and exploits them to his detriment. All that being said, Mr. Rivers is one of the Elite quarterbacks in the League. He has been so since his Sophomore year or thereabouts. I strongly agree that the Chargers need to start grooming the next Quarterback now. The problem with that is that it is a Gump situation. Quarterbacks are like a box of chocolates, you never what you're going to get. You may get Dan Fouts or Ryan Leaf. Also, getting the Heisman Trophy winner is no guarantee. But, get someone in there soon. Not sure how long Mr. Rivers has and then it will fall to the back-up QB. Troy Lawson
You won't ????
Old 11-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman1007 View Post
You're speaking with a forked tongue. You won't say he's inconsistent, then in most of the rest of the post, you describe how inconsistent Rivers is. Okay, if you won't say it, I will. Rivers is inconsistent.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Forever San Diego

hey guys... just in case you didn't know... Rivers is inconsistent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Hall of Famer

The guy in New York is inconsistent too.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
The guy in New York is inconsistent too.
Ryan Fitzpatrick ???
Old 11-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

If I didn't know better, I'd think there are those around here who consider Rivers inconsistent.

Nahhhhh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd think there are those around here who consider Rivers inconsistent.

Nahhhhh.
Tom, I think we need a poll:

Which of the following best describes Rivers?
1. Consistent
2. Inconsistent
3. Bacon
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Hall of Famer

He obviously lost the Dolphin game. But with an older Gates and revolving door of WR's (and loss of Woodhead), I doubt he has very big windows to throw into. What we don't want is for him to turn into a checkdown artist, settling for 5 yards on 3rd and long.

I'm not saying he's beyond criticism, but he's still one of the main strengths of the team.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
He obviously lost the Dolphin game. But with an older Gates and revolving door of WR's (and loss of Woodhead), I doubt he has very big windows to throw into. What we don't want is for him to turn into a checkdown artist, settling for 5 yards on 3rd and long.

I'm not saying he's beyond criticism, but he's still one of the main strengths of the team.
As long as he doesn't get rattled and throw the ball into double coverage, he can definitely be a strength of the team...it's all conditional...if Rivers has self-control, we have a better chance of winning...if he lets his nerves get to him, less of a chance...