Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 PM
lawman1007 lawman1007 is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lansing
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat4477 View Post
It really pains me to say this, but this loss to Miami is mostly on Rivers. And not only the loss to the Fins. And what's sad is that this was a winnable game. Yes, the Fins had a strong pass rush, but there were way too many downs when Rivers held onto the ball too long, then forced it into coverage, instead of throwing the rock out of bounds.

Over the years, I've watched Rivers lose quite a few winnable games. As soon as he gets flustered from a pass rush and/or sack, he gets so amped up he subsequently makes very poor pass choices, throwing it into coverage, which results in interceptions, which totally change the momentum of games. Even after throwing one or two picks, given second and third chances even, he is apparently unable to shake off the jitters, and ends up making more costly mistakes.

Yes, I know Rivers is one of the top statistical QB's in the game, but unfortunately, he just is not able to close the deal when a lot of games are on the line. As long as the Bolts have Rivers as their QB, I'm afraid they will continue to be mediocre. Time to start looking for Rivers' replacement in the draft.
I think you could be right. I have seen Mr. Rivers throw interceptions in close games, and get so mad at the situation, the players, the fans and more than likely at himself that he can't or won't 'shake it off'. But on the other hand I have also seen same situations arise and he will 'shake it off' connect the dots and win the game famously. I won't say he is inconsistent, but when these situations crop up they affect his game somewhat. I also see him wait in the pocket and see his window of opportunity vanish. This is not due to his o-line, he has a tremendous o-line year in and year out. They do their jobs and they cannot create miracles. Mr. Rivers takes advantage of his 'assets' and exploits them to his detriment. All that being said, Mr. Rivers is one of the Elite quarterbacks in the League. He has been so since his Sophomore year or thereabouts. I strongly agree that the Chargers need to start grooming the next Quarterback now. The problem with that is that it is a Gump situation. Quarterbacks are like a box of chocolates, you never what you're going to get. You may get Dan Fouts or Ryan Leaf. Also, getting the Heisman Trophy winner is no guarantee. But, get someone in there soon. Not sure how long Mr. Rivers has and then it will fall to the back-up QB. Troy Lawson
  #202  
Old 11-21-2016, 01:06 AM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is online now
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 27,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman1007 View Post
I think you could be right. I have seen Mr. Rivers throw interceptions in close games, and get so mad at the situation, the players, the fans and more than likely at himself that he can't or won't 'shake it off'. But on the other hand I have also seen same situations arise and he will 'shake it off' connect the dots and win the game famously. I won't say he is inconsistent, but when these situations crop up they affect his game somewhat. I also see him wait in the pocket and see his window of opportunity vanish. This is not due to his o-line, he has a tremendous o-line year in and year out. They do their jobs and they cannot create miracles. Mr. Rivers takes advantage of his 'assets' and exploits them to his detriment. All that being said, Mr. Rivers is one of the Elite quarterbacks in the League. He has been so since his Sophomore year or thereabouts. I strongly agree that the Chargers need to start grooming the next Quarterback now. The problem with that is that it is a Gump situation. Quarterbacks are like a box of chocolates, you never what you're going to get. You may get Dan Fouts or Ryan Leaf. Also, getting the Heisman Trophy winner is no guarantee. But, get someone in there soon. Not sure how long Mr. Rivers has and then it will fall to the back-up QB. Troy Lawson
You won't ????
  #203  
Old 11-21-2016, 07:45 AM
topcat4477's Avatar
topcat4477 topcat4477 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Valley, Calif.
Posts: 5,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman1007 View Post
I think you could be right. I have seen Mr. Rivers throw interceptions in close games, and get so mad at the situation, the players, the fans and more than likely at himself that he can't or won't 'shake it off'. But on the other hand I have also seen same situations arise and he will 'shake it off' connect the dots and win the game famously. I won't say he is inconsistent, but when these situations crop up they affect his game somewhat. I also see him wait in the pocket and see his window of opportunity vanish. This is not due to his o-line, he has a tremendous o-line year in and year out. They do their jobs and they cannot create miracles. Mr. Rivers takes advantage of his 'assets' and exploits them to his detriment. All that being said, Mr. Rivers is one of the Elite quarterbacks in the League. He has been so since his Sophomore year or thereabouts. I strongly agree that the Chargers need to start grooming the next Quarterback now. The problem with that is that it is a Gump situation. Quarterbacks are like a box of chocolates, you never what you're going to get. You may get Dan Fouts or Ryan Leaf. Also, getting the Heisman Trophy winner is no guarantee. But, get someone in there soon. Not sure how long Mr. Rivers has and then it will fall to the back-up QB. Troy Lawson
You're speaking with a forked tongue. You won't say he's inconsistent, then in most of the rest of the post, you describe how inconsistent Rivers is. Okay, if you won't say it, I will. Rivers is inconsistent.
__________________
KA------Gates - Okung - Slauson - Pulley - Feeney - Lamp - Henry------MegaMike
  #204  
Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 AM
AFboltfan's Avatar
AFboltfan AFboltfan is offline
Forever San Diego
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Balboa Park bench
Posts: 7,156
Default

hey guys... just in case you didn't know... Rivers is inconsistent.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #205  
Old 11-21-2016, 09:12 AM
SDCPB SDCPB is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: beaverton
Posts: 3,544
Default

The guy in New York is inconsistent too.
  #206  
Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is online now
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 27,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCPB View Post
The guy in New York is inconsistent too.
Ryan Fitzpatrick ???
  #207  
Old 11-21-2016, 01:41 PM
chargertom's Avatar
chargertom chargertom is offline
Bandwagon Homer Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richfield
Posts: 72,056
Default

If I didn't know better, I'd think there are those around here who consider Rivers inconsistent.

Nahhhhh.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Los Angeles Super Chargers!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  #208  
Old 11-21-2016, 02:45 PM
topcat4477's Avatar
topcat4477 topcat4477 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Valley, Calif.
Posts: 5,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd think there are those around here who consider Rivers inconsistent.

Nahhhhh.
Tom, I think we need a poll:

Which of the following best describes Rivers?
1. Consistent
2. Inconsistent
3. Bacon
__________________
KA------Gates - Okung - Slauson - Pulley - Feeney - Lamp - Henry------MegaMike
  #209  
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Crime Time's Avatar
Crime Time Crime Time is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chatsworth
Posts: 4,115
Default

He obviously lost the Dolphin game. But with an older Gates and revolving door of WR's (and loss of Woodhead), I doubt he has very big windows to throw into. What we don't want is for him to turn into a checkdown artist, settling for 5 yards on 3rd and long.

I'm not saying he's beyond criticism, but he's still one of the main strengths of the team.
  #210  
Old 11-30-2016, 06:30 PM
topcat4477's Avatar
topcat4477 topcat4477 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central Valley, Calif.
Posts: 5,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
He obviously lost the Dolphin game. But with an older Gates and revolving door of WR's (and loss of Woodhead), I doubt he has very big windows to throw into. What we don't want is for him to turn into a checkdown artist, settling for 5 yards on 3rd and long.

I'm not saying he's beyond criticism, but he's still one of the main strengths of the team.
As long as he doesn't get rattled and throw the ball into double coverage, he can definitely be a strength of the team...it's all conditional...if Rivers has self-control, we have a better chance of winning...if he lets his nerves get to him, less of a chance...
__________________
KA------Gates - Okung - Slauson - Pulley - Feeney - Lamp - Henry------MegaMike
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 AM.


© 2017 Los Angeles Chargers. All Rights Reserved.