Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you rate Mike Williams?
Excellent pick! I'm excited! 59 48.36%
Okay pick, but I'll wait and see. 41 33.61%
I don't like this pick at all! 5 4.10%
I like it, but bacon is better! 14 11.48%
Injury Prone 3 2.46%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
Better O-line may mean more running down in the red zone.

Also if they stop force feeding Gates down there, we may see more Hunter Henry who showed a lot of ability in the red zone last year.
Gates 69 catches for 12 TDs is so 2014, 348 carries for 28 TDs so LT.
LOL! We'll mix it up. No reason to force feed anyone. Go with the hot hand, the open receiver.
The diversity this offense appears to have will feed off each other.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Gates 69 catches for 12 TDs is so 2014, 348 carries for 28 TDs so LT.
LOL! We'll mix it up. No reason to force feed anyone. Go with the hot hand, the open receiver.
The diversity this offense appears to have will feed off each other.
Think it was pretty obvious last year they were force feeding Gates down in the red zone to chase that TE TD record.

I think just stopping that would help be less predictable in the redzone/help cut down on some dumb INTs down there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Learn to THINK

Quote:
Think it was pretty obvious last year they were force feeding Gates down in the red zone to chase that TE TD record.

I think just stopping that would help be less predictable in the redzone/help cut down on some dumb INTs down there.
You beat me to it.

He had it, too, if not for the drop.

p.s. that drop netted him millions . . . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

I saw it differently. They were trying to win & Gates is Rivers most trusted target. AG was the NFL leader in TD catches by a TE the year before and our best WR & receiving RB duo were out.
That aside, I meant the diversity thing literally and do believe we have too many potential threats for us or the opponent to focus on any single one. I expect Lynn, Whis & Rivers to have every intention of spreading the ball around, run & pass, to make & finish drives.

The ints were largely a product of lousy blocking, limited receiving options. and needing a score. We should be playing under greater control this year.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
I saw it differently. They were trying to win & Gates is Rivers most trusted target. AG was the NFL leader in TD catches by a TE the year before and our best WR & receiving RB duo were out.
That aside, I meant the diversity thing literally and do believe we have too many potential threats for us or the opponent to focus on any single one. I expect Lynn, Whis & Rivers to have every intention of spreading the ball around, run & pass, to make & finish drives.

The ints were largely a product of lousy blocking, limited receiving options. and needing a score. We should be playing under greater control this year.
Sorry, but I beg to differ. Hunter Henry was definitely the better option to throw to last year, even as a rookie. Gates may be the more trusted target, but there were times when Henry/others were open but they tried to force the ball to Gates any how to get him his TDs. There was a definite emphasis on getting Gates the record and no it was not all about Gates being a red zone threat....because even last year Henry was the bigger threat at TE than Gates.

I love Gates, I really do and am happy we have him for another year....but I hope its not at the expense of Hunter Henry's playing time.

[edit]
I remember seeing one of the guys from the UT tweeting about it and reading a little about it. I could not find it but I did find this little snippet

Quote:
One Chargers assistant confirmed to ESPN's Matthew Berry the team was trying to get Antonio Gates the all-time touchdown record for tight ends last season.
Gates wound up tying the record, and he will break it this year. However, the assistant confirmed there will be "no such effort" to force Gates red-zone passes in 2017, and after watching Hunter Henry's rookie-year tape, the Bolts believed Henry should have had 10-12 touchdown catches. (Henry finished with eight.) While the arrow is clearly pointing down on soon-to-be 37-year-old Gates, Henry has sophomore breakout written all over him.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...ates-td-record
So yeah, if you did not see them trying to obviously force feed Gates the TE TD record, I dont know what to say to convince you.

Last edited by SuperBowlBolts; 05-19-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Boltgang74

I gotta admit witnessing this scenario last season and bein pissed about it.Love Gates but Henry is the future.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Boltgang74

And I want team wins more than player records.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 PM
All-Pro

Ya HH needs to be on the field more.He looks like a playmaker.He can strech the middle of the field.Seems to be the complete package.

Last edited by boltsnfsu; 05-19-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, but I beg to differ. Hunter Henry was definitely the better option to throw to last year, even as a rookie. Gates may be the more trusted target, but there were times when Henry/others were open but they tried to force the ball to Gates any how to get him his TDs. There was a definite emphasis on getting Gates the record and no it was not all about Gates being a red zone threat....because even last year Henry was the bigger threat at TE than Gates.

I love Gates, I really do and am happy we have him for another year....but I hope its not at the expense of Hunter Henry's playing time.

[edit]
I remember seeing one of the guys from the UT tweeting about it and reading a little about it. I could not find it but I did find this little snippet

So yeah, if you did not see them trying to obviously force feed Gates the TE TD record, I dont know what to say to convince you.
No problem. I'll stick with the honesty of trying to win games first because I find that perspective more appealing than hearsay to the contrary.

I like Henry and expect big things from him but don't believe it's fair to compare him to an all-time best TE just yet. He's younger & faster, has great hands but has a way to go on technique and probably never will have the same level of trust with Rivers. PR to Gates was just too good for too long. They see things with one mind when the game is on the line. If Lynn/Whiz have Gates in the lineup at the goalline, hopefully he will have told R&G to remember that EVERYONE on the field expects the throw to go to Gates. Use him as a decoy once in awhile.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
I agree that they were forcing the ball to Gates in the red zone after all was lost for the 2016 season. However, Henry's concussion and knee injuries (join the 2016 club, Travis ) that occurred at midseason were unfortunate timing since Weeks 8-10 were the games when the season was in balance and Henry either wasn't available or was severely limited.

Henry needs to be the #1 TE target in 2018 without question - and I am confident that <<knocking on the wood that is my skull>> barring injury Henry will take several steps up the ladder.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 05-19-2017 at 04:28 PM..