Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which defensive player do the Bolts MOST need to replace?
Teo 41 22.16%
Addae 35 18.92%
Flowers 35 18.92%
Emanuel 62 33.51%
Other--see my post 12 6.49%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Default The Defense

So we run a base 3-4 I'm told. However we run alot of 4-3 sets, correct? Why do we do this? Is it because we don't have a true NT? Seems like we don't have the personnel to run a 4-3. Also, how often do we blitz? I notice us rushing 4 guys alot. Prototypical 4-3 style there. I'd think we would still need some big bodies as tackles. Not really sure what we're trying to do on defense. Anyone have any answers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Biggest Fan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:59 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

We almost never run a 43 personnel set, at least I've never seen it. We get into a lot of even fronts because teams are running 10 and 11 personnel at us. We're using a lot of 2-4-5 looks and still some 4-2-5 looks. Every 34 team in the league uses roll downs, which essentially gets you in a 43 alignment, just like 43 teams will use a weak eagle roll to get a 34 (52) front. Even when we're in even fronts, you still have a nose except for down/distance situations that allow for 2s and or 3s.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Need moar warhammer.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 PM
<< Eeyooh, boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
So we run a base 3-4 I'm told. However we run alot of 4-3 sets, correct? Why do we do this? Is it because we don't have a true NT? Seems like we don't have the personnel to run a 4-3. Also, how often do we blitz? I notice us rushing 4 guys alot. Prototypical 4-3 style there. I'd think we would still need some big bodies as tackles. Not really sure what we're trying to do on defense. Anyone have any answers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
We almost never run a 43 personnel set, at least I've never seen it. We get into a lot of even fronts because teams are running 10 and 11 personnel at us. We're using a lot of 2-4-5 looks and still some 4-2-5 looks. Every 34 team in the league uses roll downs, which essentially gets you in a 43 alignment, just like 43 teams will use a weak eagle roll to get a 34 (52) front. Even when we're in even fronts, you still have a nose except for down/distance situations that allow for 2s and or 3s.
Well, BiggestFan, there's your answer.

Go ahead and digest it for a little while.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Well, BiggestFan, there's your answer.

Go ahead and digest it for a little while.
It was a very well thought out answer. Very informative. That being said, be nice to have some beef on that dline.

Biggest Fan
Old 10-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
It was a very well thought out answer. Very informative. That being said, be nice to have some beef on that dline.
It would be nice to be able to stop the run and pressure the QB.....how much the players weigh while accomplishing this is not relevant I would guess.

GO BOLTS !
Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
the words "run" and "defense" should not be used in the same context when it comes to the chargers. thanks, bye

Old 10-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Hall of Famer

We are getting run over, not 3-4 or 4-3.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Green text is the worst

Quote:
We don't run 4-3 sets. We run a lot of nickel, which uses a 4 man front. But it isn't a 4-3 because we're replacing a defensive lineman with a defensive back.

So we go from:

4 DB's, 4 LB's, and 3 DL

to:

5 DB's, 2 LB's, and 4 DL

I think you should look around the league, because this isn't obscure in the least. This is basically the norm. Whether you're a 4-3 or 3-4 base, every team spends a ton of time in 4-2-5 nickel. It's the league's most common formation.

So no, we don't do this because of a NT issue (which isn't the same thing as saying that we have good NT play). We do this because it's the NFL in 2015. Teams are almost always needing an extra DB, and pass rush formations are more necessary than run D formations.

Over the past two seasons, we've blitzed about 30% of the time. 17th in the league in 2014 and 13th in the league in 2013.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post

Um it's actually we run a 0-0 defense because we have zero coverage, zero pass rush, zero run defense, zero tackling. Is there a stat for which team has the most missed tackles??? I'm sure Chargers are top 2.