Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En EspaŮol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who is the worst coach in Chargers history?
Mike McCoy (2013-present, 22-26) 32 39.02%
Norv Turner (2007-2012, 56-40) 7 8.54%
Marty Schottenheimer (2002-2006, 47-33) 1 1.22%
Mike Riley (1999-2001, 14-34) 15 18.29%
Kevin Gilbride (1997-1998, 6-16) 24 29.27%
Other...see my post 3 3.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2016, 06:39 AM
Moderator of Insanity

Default McCoy - is 2016 the year?

Well, it happens every year - usually right after the first bad play of the first game (laughing)...so may as well start a thread for this year to discuss the topic. Rather than starting it out with the rumblings from a loss though, saw two articles on the UT and thought they would make for better discussion starters. Let the rational, calm discussion begin...after reading the articles with an open mind.

First up - Canepa:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...hargers-coach/
Quote:
Is Mike McCoy the right person to be in charge of the Chargersí kitchen? Or is he more cut out to be a sous chef?

Somewhere in this nasty NFL pudding, there is proof. Itís up to McCoy to find it.

Iíve been around the NFL tarmac since Don Coryell was running his airline, so Iím educated enough to make educated guesses. My hunch is that this is it for the Chargersí fourth-year head coach. Itís his inning. He either produces, finds success, or itís on to another gig, and, as McCoy would say: ďNext man up.Ē

I do not fire people. I do not advocate cannings. Iím just taking the Chargersí temperature with a rectal thermometer, and when it comes to McCoyís seat, itís about 110 degrees.

McCoy is all right. Problem is, all right isnít always right enough in a terribly cruel, unyielding, bottom-line business. The fact that some coaches survive longer than can be imagined doesnít matter everywhere, like L.A. and Cincinnati, but it does here. The Spanos family has owned the franchise since 1984. McCoy is their 10th head coach. The Steelers have had three since 1969.

There were some remarkable problems surrounding last yearís Chargers team, but as the season opener looms Sunday in Kansas City, itís obvious that a repeat of 2015, or something close to it, isnít going to do, injuries, bad luck, or not.

Is it all McCoyís fault? Hardly. He only can play what he has. But franchises fire coaches before they release football men, and, in the Chargersí case, the top football man is John Spanos (Tom Telesco may be GM, but believe me, heís No. 2, so he may have a job here for 25 years), and I donít see John, who I like, going anywhere. Who spoke out during the Joey Bosa thing? Spanos.

The Chargers won four games in 2015. And the plain, simple fact of the matter is football teams with a Philip Rivers at quarterback shouldnít win four times ó not if heís on the field by himself. They werenít playoff-worthy, but with one of The Leagueís best quarterbacks, throwing for more than 4,700 yards, playing every game, you win more than four, even if your offensive line is hospitalized.

There seems to be a feeling around the NFL that Rivers has deserved better. I beg to differ, a bit. For quite a while, he was surrounded by the best roster talent in The League and didnít win a championship. Iíll never blame him for it. There were other problems, some in coaching. But never let it be said he didnít have the players or the opportunity, because he did.

Rivers is appreciated, but underrated for one reason ó heís never won a title. Unfair, yes. But quarterbacks are judged by championships. Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger came out in the 2004 draft class, same as Rivers, and each has two Super Bowls rings. Are they better quarterbacks than Rivers? Not a chance.

Thatís just how it is. They have the jewelry.

And itís up to McCoy, as coach, an offensive-minded coach, at that, to do something about it. Not that the Chargers must book advanced passage to Houston in February, but there must be something, there has to be progress. McCoy has to prove to the Spanos family that heís the right guy.

He went 9-7, got to the playoffs and even won a postseason game his rookie head coaching year (2013), and also went 9-7 the following season, without playoff money. But this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately game. He has to get that four out of everyoneís heads.

McCoy is too conservative for many tastes ó including mine, often ó but he can game plan. And fans, everybody, forget conservatism if you win games. Winning is the great antibiotic that cures all.

Mike has a clean whiteboard now. He fired some assistant coaches after the debacle, no doubt because he was ordered to. Spanos, Telesco, or whomever, had a good offseason addressing needs, especially at center (Matt Slauson), and nose tackle, where Brandon Mebane, a stud, was brought in from Seattle. I refuse to put any stock in this run defense if Mebane isnít playing. Game-changer. Bosa shouldnít hurt, despite his August inactivity.

They have to run it better and, if the offensive line is healthy, they will, because I expect good things out of second-year tailback Melvin Gordon.

If the preseason showed anything tangible, it was their depth. They are thin in several areas, but then, just about every team is thin in several areas.

Whatever they have, itís up to the coach to figure it all out.

There is a LAST CHANCE sign on the highway out of town. McCoy either has to take advantage of it, or heíll be told to keep on moving to the next stop.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Moderator of Insanity

And now for Krasovic's view...

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...o-john-spanos/
Quote:
Mike McCoy says the Chargers win or lose as an organization.

He means the actual games, less so the consequences of losing them.

After the Chargers slogged to a 4-12 record that was their worst mark since 2003, the axe didn't fall on most of the key figures at Chargers Park.

John Spanos, a member of the team's family ownership group and also the top football executive, returned for his fourth season as executive V-P of football operations. The job is likely his for as long as he wants it.

He opted to retain the two key hires of the four-year John Spanos Era: talent man Tom Telesco, whom Spanos gave an extension before the 2015 season; and McCoy, above whom the vultures were said, erroneously, it seems now, to circle for several weeks last season.

When the team announced a contract season for McCoy after the 2015 season, somewhere Marty Schottenheimer, fired after a 14-2 season 10 years ago, surely shook his head in amazement. As well McCoy survived an 0-6 record within the AFC West.

John Pagano, who predates McCoy at Chargers Park, returned for his fifth season as coordinator. His defense finished 20th in yards and 21st in points.

Back, too, are four starters in the offensive line, which had a below-average season marred heavily by injury, and running back Melvin Gordon, who said his rookie season was terrible.

Four highly paid Chargers players who said they failed to achieve optimal weight-and-fitness last year -- Orlando Franklin, Brandon Flowers, Corey Liuget and D.J. Fluker -- are among the returnees as well.

Five aides to McCoy lost their jobs. Their replacements have effected change, but the whole recent offseason amounted to one big mulligan.

One season, for sure, defines neither an era or a franchise.

Though higher than last year, how high are the stakes at Chargers Park?

Not as high, I think, as the standard media narrative has it.

One, look for the Chargers to play in Mission Valley in 2017 regardless of what happens on the field or at the ballot box in coming months.

Even if San Diegans vote down both facility initiatives, it would make little sense for the team to move to the Los Angeles Coliseum, where the L.A-rooted Rams and USC are tenants. Remember, the Chargers' lease with San Diego is profitable. Also, the longer Team Spanos opts to stay in Qualcomm Stadium, the less it would have to pay to get out of the lease, which runs through 2020.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and his inner circle of club owners, for their part, have insisted they want "to get L.A. right." Shoehorning the Bolts into the Inglewood Kroenke Dome, as tenants of the popular Rams, would run a large risk of getting L.A. wrong.

Make no mistake: San Diego is still a very attractive market within the NFL empire. The city's NFL roots date to 1961 (34 years more than the Rams had in St. Louis). NFL personnel love to visit San Diego, and pine for the city to rejoin the Super Bowl rotation.

Though not highly lucrative, the market is solid enough for the Chargers, per Forbes, to far exceed the revenues that the Rams generated in St. Louis. Diluting the franchise's five decades-plus rivalries with three AFC West rivals is another check mark against a Chargers move north.

Depictions of McCoy as a goner, should the team miss the playoffs, are standard, too.

Unlike last year, there's an aide in waiting, Ken Whisenhunt, who has gone to a Super Bowl as a head coach. And yet, I still could see McCoy, a la Norv Turner, surviving an 8-8 or 9-7 season that brought no playoff berth.

McCoy, who's better than Norv at playing the role of company man, is part of the Spanos-Telesco fabric.

Understanding that his first priority is to win games, McCoy was wise to bring Whisenhunt back. The playcaller has paid dividends already. The run blocking, if still suspect, is far more varied than last summer.

Defenders are less likely to get the super-fast jumps on Bolts run plays that they got last September and October.

Telesco upgraded the interior of each line and gave McCoy more play-speed on offense.

The Chargers are system-mature like few NFL teams, thanks in large part to Philip Rivers.

Rivers still doesn't get enough credit for staying whole, especially from folks who constantly gripe about the team's injuries. (See: Vikings, Teddy Bridgewater.)

Injury caveat attached, the Chargers should be expected to double their victory total. I see them as an 8-8 team.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:41 AM
Moderator of Insanity

1st, 2nd, and 3rd...
Old 09-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Ummmmmm..... What was the question?

MM either has a winning season with playoffs or he gets fired and a Jon Gruden, or Seahawks type coach is brought in to build a winning culture.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Given that the team is likely moving to L.A. in 2017, McCoy doesn't have the "star power" for the L.A. market. So he's done in any event. Biologists refer to "charismatic megafauna", like the few pumas (mountain lions) that roam Griffith Park and certain other hilly locations around Los Angeles.

The Chargers are going to have to find some "charismatic megafauna" coach who will fit in under the lights of Hollywood (or "Hollyweird"). That would probably be someone who had an affiliation with U.S.C., or maybe UCLA, as either a player or a coach. Do I hear "Jack Del Rio"?

Unfortunately for McCoy, if he is being questioned by San Diego newspaper columnists, he will be SAVAGED by L.A. columnists.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Moderator of Insanity

Kevin, with a touch of humor thrown in, predicts how the Chargers might finish 10-6 and in the playoffs - saving MM.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...e-this-season/
Old 09-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgold View Post
Ummmmmm..... What was the question?

MM either has a winning season with playoffs or he gets fired and a Jon Gruden, or Seahawks type coach is brought in to build a winning culture.
Need to be in contention to make the PO by week 10 or fire him and let Whiz take over. we need to be 7-3 or he need to go.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Hall of Famer

USA Today thinks the first NFL coach to be fired in 2016 will be MM.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/nfl-...y-jim-caldwell

I don't remember if we have ever fired a HC mid season. I doubt very much if this year would be an exception. But if we have another miserable W-L record at year's end then MM would be gone.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
USA Today thinks the first NFL coach to be fired in 2016 will be MM.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/nfl-...y-jim-caldwell

I don't remember if we have ever fired a HC mid season. I doubt very much if this year would be an exception. But if we have another miserable W-L record at year's end then MM would be gone.
Don Coryell was fired halfway through the 1986 season (1-7 record). And yes, he was fired, not retired.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-..._1_don-coryell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Don Coryell was fired halfway through the 1986 season (1-7 record). And yes, he was fired, not retired.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-06-..._1_don-coryell
And Tommy Prothro was fired when Coryell was hired during a season. That one worked out well