Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Ownership, Management & Coaching
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Default Why does Pagano get a free pass?

Pagano has never been able to get his defense to play on a consistent basis. They play the worst in the 4th QTR when the game is on the line. Presumably the problems with the defense are not Pagano's fault due to injuries or lack of talent.

Pagano was promoted from LB coach to DC by the Chargers. Thus, he has no proven track record other than what he has done with the Chargers which is mediocre.

What has Pagano done to justify being retained as the DC for so many years?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:10 PM
<< . . . . . . .

He doesn't.

He earns his check.

Keeping a pretty good defense out there week-in and week-out even though his available personell have an express walkway to IR.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
He doesn't.

He earns his check.

Keeping a pretty good defense out there week-in and week-out even though his available personell have an express walkway to IR.
His defense doesn't play well when the game is on the line. He doesn't keep a good defense out there week in and week out. They are inconsistent. That is the problem.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Marion Butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw Back View Post
His defense doesn't play well when the game is on the line. He doesn't keep a good defense out there week in and week out. They are inconsistent. That is the problem.
Think we need biggest fan in here. He would love to discuss the pros and cons of John pagano.

-Mario Lopez
Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 PM
<< . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
Think we need biggest fan in here. He would love to discuss the pros and cons of John pagano.
Assuming SuperMelvin is unavailable, Biggie would be a suitable replacement.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw Back View Post
Pagano has never been able to get his defense to play on a consistent basis. They play the worst in the 4th QTR when the game is on the line. Presumably the problems with the defense are not Pagano's fault due to injuries or lack of talent.

Pagano was promoted from LB coach to DC by the Chargers. Thus, he has no proven track record other than what he has done with the Chargers which is mediocre.

What has Pagano done to justify being retained as the DC for so many years?
He has improved a lot as a DC and has gotten solid performances out of scrap heap players. Korey Toomer was practice squad player with the Raiders and has become a Pro Bowl-level performer here. You could make a good case for Casey Hayward being Comeback Player of the Year. We're one of the toughest units to run on in the league. We're among the league leaders in takeaways, despite being without some of our best defensive players like Mantei and Verrett.

Pagano has done a solid job and the defense has kept us in a lot of games. Unfortunately, the offense tends to self-destruct in the 4th quarter and puts the defense in a place where they have to win the game.

Pagano would be swiped up pretty quickly if we let him go, IMO.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers2Gates49 View Post
He has improved a lot as a DC and has gotten solid performances out of scrap heap players. Korey Toomer was practice squad player with the Raiders and has become a Pro Bowl-level performer here. You could make a good case for Casey Hayward being Comeback Player of the Year. We're one of the toughest units to run on in the league. We're among the league leaders in takeaways, despite being without some of our best defensive players like Mantei and Verrett.

Pagano has done a solid job and the defense has kept us in a lot of games. Unfortunately, the offense tends to self-destruct in the 4th quarter and puts the defense in a place where they have to win the game.

Pagano would be swiped up pretty quickly if we let him go, IMO.
Toomer is having a nice season, but I don't agree that he's playing near pro bowl level. Hayward as Comeback POY? PFF graded him as a number one corner last year and was graded higher than guys like Verrett, Talib, and Sherman. He was very good last year so he's not really making a comeback, although he is having an excellent season.

I'm happy with Pagano. He's gotten a lot out of some players that weren't good enough elsewhere, and I think the D has played better than the numbers suggest despite all of the injuries. I don't think anyone has an answer as to why his defenses fall apart in the fourth quarter from time to time, but when the offense and special teams also continue to fall apart late in games it is hard for me to put the blame on Pags. I'd definitely like to keep him. That guy with the visor though...I'm not sure about him.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
Toomer is having a nice season, but I don't agree that he's playing near pro bowl level. Hayward as Comeback POY? PFF graded him as a number one corner last year and was graded higher than guys like Verrett, Talib, and Sherman. He was very good last year so he's not really making a comeback, although he is having an excellent season.

I'm happy with Pagano. He's gotten a lot out of some players that weren't good enough elsewhere, and I think the D has played better than the numbers suggest despite all of the injuries. I don't think anyone has an answer as to why his defenses fall apart in the fourth quarter from time to time, but when the offense and special teams also continue to fall apart late in games it is hard for me to put the blame on Pags. I'd definitely like to keep him. That guy with the visor though...I'm not sure about him.
You're right, I exaggerated a bit. Hayward had zero picks last year and leads the league this year, so that's where I was going with that one. And if you project Toomer's defensive stats out over a full 16-game season, it looks like a Pro Bowl year.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:43 AM
Hall of Famer

If there's one game where I thought the defense wasn't doing well in it would be the Miami game. For the most part, the defense has kept the Chargers in games.

I'd like to see how Pagano does with a healthy defense. When Bosa, Brown, Mebane, Hayward, and Verrett are on the field together the defense will be really good.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:45 AM
Moderator of Insanity

Quote:
Interviewed for the head-coach job that went to Turner, a former Chargers offensive coordinator, Rivera joined the staff as linebackers coach and became defensive coordinator a year later.

Pagano was the linebackers coach under Rivera, and became coordinator in 2012. In their last year together before the Panthers hired Rivera, the Chargers led the AFC in total defense.

I love his aggressive nature and I love his creativity,” Rivera said of Pagano. “He has a future in this league and hopefully he’ll continue to get opportunities and get a chance to be a head coach someday.”

Rivera said that learning a “3-4” defense from Pagano, who worked under “3-4” expert Wade Phillips, was a boon to his career.

Pagano said he learned a lot about football from Rivera, a former Cal and Chicago Bears linebacker who apprenticed under two renowned defensive coordinators, Buddy Ryan and Jim Johnson. “I love Chico,” he said of Rivera.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...209-story.html