Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En EspaŮol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Bolt News
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default Congratulations to LT on his 1st-ballot Pro Football HOF induction!!!

As sad as I am that Coryell didn't get in, I am ecstatic that LT got his due on the first ballot!!

Quote:
It was never really in doubt.

Chargers legend LaDainian Tomlinson, one of the greatest football players of all time, was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday night in his first year of eligibility.

L.T. spent nine of his 11 seasons with the Chargers in San Diego. He was drafted 5th overall by the Bolts in the 2001 NFL Draft. By the time he was let go after the 2009 season he owned every major rushing and touchdowns record in franchise history.

Tomlinson became a fan favorite for his production and the attention he paid them. Game after game L.T. would fulfill his media duties and go out to sign autographs for nearly everyone who wanted one. He was the San Diego football version of Tony Gwynn, understanding what he meant to the community he did not grown up in, but came to call his home.

He owns NFL records for most touchdowns in a single season (31), most rushing touchdowns in a season (28) and most points in a season (186, all set in his 2006 MVP year). He also has more multiple-rushing touchdown games (50), most consecutive games with a rushing touchdown (14), most seasons with at least 10 rushing touchdowns (9), and he was the fastest player ever to gain 15,000 yards from scrimmage, doing it in just 121 NFL games.

And those are just a few of his NFL records.

Tomlinson is not alone in the Hall of Fame backfield. San Diego native Terrell Davis, a 2-time Super Bowl champion and one of just seven men to rush for 2,000 yards in a single season was also elected to the class of 2017. The Lincoln High School alum had his career cut short due to injury but in his prime was one of the most dominant rushers in the game.

Another San Diego native, safety John Lynch, was a finalist but did not make the final cut. The Torrey Pines High School alum won a championship with the Buccaneers in 2002 in the last Super Bowl played in his home town.

But there is an even more regrettable omission from the Hall of Fame. Former Chargers head coach Don Coryell was once again left out of Canton. In what is regarded by many, not just in San Diego, as one of the biggest travesties in the sport Coryell was a finalist for the fourth year and is still not a member of the Hall of Fame.

Coryell revolutionized the professional passing game and even has an offense named after him. His route combinations and emphasis on throwing the ball laid the groundwork for the modern NFL passing game.

The full 2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame class looks like this:

RB LaDainian Tomlinson
RB Terrell Davis
QB Kurt Warner
DE Jason Taylor
K Morten Andersen

They will all be inducted in August in Canton, OH, on Hall of Fame weekend.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spor...412794283.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 02-04-2017 at 05:18 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Congrats, LT. We all got lucky getting to see you play, and witness all the team and NFL records you broke.

Well deserved selection.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Congrats LT. It was a privilege and honor to watch you everytime you took the field.

There's at least 2 guys on the list that Coryell should have beaten out.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

'Best pure running back' LaDainian Tomlinson enters Hall of Fame
Eric D. Williams
ESPN Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- As a kid who wanted to emulate Hall of Famer Walter Payton, running back LaDainian Tomlinson never imagined being a part of the conversation over the best runners in NFL history.

But on Saturday, Tomlinson joined the likes of Payton, Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith when he was selected for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Tomlinson became the 75th player selected for induction on the first ballot, voted in by attaining 80 percent approval from the 48-person selection committee.

"I never, as a kid, dreamed about going to the Hall of Fame," Tomlinson said. "It just wasnít something that a kid dreamed about. I dreamed about making it to the National Football League and playing in Super Bowls and winning championships as a kid. Thatís what I dreamed about."

Tomlinsonís selection was a no-brainer.

The No. 5 overall pick in the 2001 draft after the Chargers finished 1-15 in the previous season, Tomlinson helped change the culture around the Chargers. San Diego made the playoffs five of the nine seasons Tomlinson was the teamís lead running back, including winning five AFC West titles.

Tomlinsonís nine seasons (2001-09) in San Diego included eight consecutive 1,000-yard rushing campaigns and five Pro Bowls.

ďHe was a game-changer obviously,Ē said Nick Hardwick, center for the Chargers from 2004 to 2014. ďHe was an unbelievable talent but had an incredible football IQ. And he had the ability to break a game open at a momentís notice.

ďAs an offensive lineman -- and you could probably include tight ends and fullbacks in that equation -- you were really inspired to get your block and stay on your block because you knew that his ability to break off a long run and finish off a game at momentís notice was right there in the power that LaDainian Tomlinson held in his feet.Ē

Nicknamed "LT," Tomlinson finished his career as the Chargersí all-time leading rusher and ranked No. 5 all time in league history with 13,684 rushing yards.

He also owns the single-season touchdown record (31), which he set during the 2006 season.

"LaDainian was the best pure running back Iíve ever been around. And I was around Marcus Allen and Christian Okoye, guys like that," Marty Schottenheimer told the teamís website. Schottenheimer was the Chargers coach from 2002 to 2006, building his offense around Tomlinson. "It was really a treat to be involved with him. I told him from the start that he had it all and we were going to ride him."

Known for his physical, relentless running style, Tomlinson also was a tremendous pass-catcher. He finished his career with 624 catches for 4,772 yards and 17 touchdown receptions.

Only Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk has more catches among the top-10 career rushing leaders.

"It was almost impossible to defend him," Hall of Fame linebacker Ray Lewis said. "Because he had hands like a receiver, he had feet like a ballet dancer and had a heart like a lion -- any time that you have all of those things, you just never know what you are going to get.

ďWhat made him the hardest thing to deal with was that he always kept a calm demeanor. You never could rattle him. He always stayed true to himself."

Tomlinson's No. 21 jersey was retired by the Chargers in 2015.

The only blemish on Tomlinsonís record -- if you can call it that -- is that he never played for a Super Bowl title. Teams Tomlinson played for finished 5-5 in the postseason.

"The one [negative] thing that I think is totally honest and true about my career is I never won a championship," Tomlinson told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Thatís totally fair for people to judge me on that. But I know eventually, with my numbers, Iím a Hall of Famer."

Former Chargers teammate Drew Brees said he will be on hand in Canton to watch Tomlinson be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

"He's a special guy, a special player," Brees told The Mighty 1090 AM radio. Brees served as the Chargers' starting quarterback from 2002 to 2005. "He made everyone around him better. He was a phenomenal leader. When LT spoke, everybody listened. And he backed it up with his actions, more so than anything he could ever say."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...nian-tomlinson

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Gotta love Ray Lewis' quotes: "It was almost impossible to defend him," Hall of Fame linebacker Ray Lewis said. "Because he had hands like a receiver, he had feet like a ballet dancer and had a heart like a lion -- any time that you have all of those things, you just never know what you are going to get.

ďWhat made him the hardest thing to deal with was that he always kept a calm demeanor. You never could rattle him. He always stayed true to himself."

Ray is a good guy....just like LT, Vick, Weddle and Bosa
Old 02-04-2017, 05:43 PM
<<< LA's finest football

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
Congrats LT. It was a privilege and honor to watch you everytime you took the field.

There's at least 2 guys on the list that Coryell should have beaten out.
I hope you are talking about Warner and Davis, because both are complete nonsense.

So much in fact, I don't know if I can even respect the HOF distinction anymore...

i like that my franchise will do whatever it takes to win, and if all they get is a slap on the hand for it in return, more power to them...
Old 02-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Joel and Jordan hanging out with LT.

Los Angeles Super Chargers!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Great person, great running back, great Charger. Big well deserved congratulations to LaDainian.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran

well Deserved. My favorite Chargers player of all time. The GOAT...
Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Joel and Jordan hanging out with LT.

How long ago was that photo taken???