Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
High taxes? Lol

You realize LA and San Diego are both in California right?
Lol. Beat me to it!!

And the new gas tax and increase in vehicle registration cost will only affect LA (sarcasm)

The amount of hate for LA gets ridiculous at times.

Last edited by SD SneakKing; 04-23-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Old 04-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
The LA Times still thinks it is an issue

"Southern California is experiencing its worst smog in years this summer (2016)

Ozone has exceeded federal standards on 91 days so far this year compared to 67 days over the same period last year, according to South Coast Air Quality Management District data through Monday.

In June, only four days had healthy air across the South Coast basin, which spans Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties. In July, ozone levels violated federal health standards every day except July 31."

Not to get too political, but LA is already one of the most environmentally friendly counties in the country in terms of legislation. While the air may not be perfect, it isn't all that bad considering the massive population of LA and surrounding area. It certainly isn't what people refer to as the LA smog of the 70s. Not even close.

While things can always be better, none of this will effect the Chargers game play. For those who really want to see smog these days, look up China.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default Not an issue at all these days ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
It's not as bad as it use to be but it is still an issue. Air quality really has nothing to do with the Chargers so there's no need to spin it or twist it.
It doesn't mean LA's air quality is healthy just because IE's is worse, and the article did not say that. The air quality in that region is terrible. That's not a slight on the region or LA, heck that's where I'm from, it's just the facts.

http://www.pe.com/2016/08/11/los-ang...searchers-say/
Agree that it's not an issue whatsoever. I haven't seen LA Galaxy players or their opponents keel over at StubHub, so I'm pretty sure that when combined with 57-year-old me jogging 3 miles daily through the massive smog that currently engulfs the OC/LA region, Charger players will probably make it through a game without collapsing.

Agree - but for reference purposes (in support of Moe) at the height of smog season (August-September):

Quote:
How bad is California’s ozone pollution?

About one-third of California residents live in communities with pollution that exceeds federal standards, according to estimates by the state Air Resources Board.

Air quality is worst in inland valleys, where pollution from vehicles and factories cook in sunlight to form ozone, which is blown and trapped against the mountains.

The South Coast air basin, which includes Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, violated the current 75-ppb ozone standard on 92 days in 2014. The highest ozone levels in the nation are in San Bernardino County, which reported a 2012-2014 average of 102 parts per billion.

Is smog getting better?

Ozone levels have declined by about one-third nationwide since 1980 as a result of regulations targeting emissions from cars, factories, consumer products and other sources of pollutants, according to the EPA.

In the 1970s and '80s, the Los Angeles region often saw more than 200 bad-air days a year, with ozone levels exceeding 300 parts per billion on the smoggiest summer days. Peak ozone concentrations have dropped to about a third of that, even as the region’s population has grown and the number of vehicle miles traveled has doubled.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...930-story.html

Sept. 13, 1955: City Hall, a short block away, is a dim specter behind the Stephen M. White statue on the Hall of Records lawn during the peak of the city's dense smog attack. This photo was published in the Sept. 14, 1955, Los Angeles Times. The statue is now in San Pedro.

Sep. 9, 2014: Los Angeles City Hall from upper section of Grand Park roughly same distance from previous photo taken on Sep. 13, 1955 at Olive and 1st Streets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 04-23-2017 at 04:37 PM..
Old 04-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
High taxes? Lol

You realize LA and San Diego are both in California right?
Yep.....and the high taxes exist in both places, but SD has good air and a real old stadium.

GO BOLTS !
Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Agree that it's not an issue whatsoever. I haven't seen LA Galaxy players or their opponents keel over at StubHub, so I'm pretty sure that when combined with 57-year-old me jogging 3 miles daily through the massive smog that currently engulfs the OC/LA region, Charger players will probably make it through a game without collapsing.

Agree - but for reference purposes (in support of Moe) at the height of smog season (August-September):

Sept. 13, 1955: City Hall, a short block away, is a dim specter behind the Stephen M. White statue on the Hall of Records lawn during the peak of the city's dense smog attack. This photo was published in the Sept. 14, 1955, Los Angeles Times. The statue is now in San Pedro.

Sep. 9, 2014: Los Angeles City Hall from upper section of Grand Park roughly same distance from previous photo taken on Sep. 13, 1955 at Olive and 1st Streets.
I attended Cal Jam at Ontario Speedway in '74. The mountains a few short miles north were clear to see in the AM. By the time Deep Purple was playing Smoke On the Water they were hard to find. At least that ozone didn't smell like the usual burnt diesel, hot oil.
I may have suffered contact dain brammage though.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Yep.....and the high taxes exist in both places, but SD has good air and a real old stadium.
Yes. San Diego is beautiful. It's my home town. But that real old stadium is gonna be empty durin the NFL season
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
I attended Cal Jam at Ontario Speedway in '74. The mountains a few short miles north were clear to see in the AM. By the time Deep Purple was playing Smoke On the Water they were hard to find. At least that ozone didn't smell like the usual burnt diesel, hot oil.
I may have suffered contact dain brammage though.
We have sonora.
We have Nutty.
CMB is whole.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 AM
First member of the board

Living in the Pacific Northwest, we have many days when the rain and clouds pretty much obscure the view. But for some reason last Friday was what we call a 5 mountain day. It was clear as can be and from the higher vantage points you could see the snow capped peaks of five mountains. Those days make it worthwhile to put up with all the rain and clouds. Of course, the rain returned on Saturday and it's still rainy here today.

Got to take the good with the bad. Scripture tells us He makes the sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

I like to think that I fall into "good" and "just" category. However, either way I get the rain. On the other hand, all that rain make us appreciate the clear days more.

Speaking of mountain views,I do wonder why the Bolts didn't arrange to play at the Rose Bowl?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
Living in the Pacific Northwest, we have many days when the rain and clouds pretty much obscure the view. But for some reason last Friday was what we call a 5 mountain day. It was clear as can be and from the higher vantage points you could see the snow capped peaks of five mountains. Those days make it worthwhile to put up with all the rain and clouds. Of course, the rain returned on Saturday and it's still rainy here today.

Got to take the good with the bad. Scripture tells us He makes the sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

I like to think that I fall into "good" and "just" category. However, either way I get the rain. On the other hand, all that rain make us appreciate the clear days more.

Speaking of mountain views,I do wonder why the Bolts didn't arrange to play at the Rose Bowl?
The Rose Bowl was not an option. They only permit a limited amount of events.

And it would have been a bad option as that stadium holds 100,000 and it would have been 1/2 full
Old 04-24-2017, 08:54 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post

I heard that the Chargers contacted both the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl and both venues said that they are already at the maximum number of events that the field can tolerate.

10,000 ticketholders chose not to go to this AFC Championship Game

It was -13 on the thermometer, -59 wind chill

I apoligize that I was a Bengals fan then (grew up there), but I am a Bolts fan now!

"Football is not a sport, it is a religion" - Vincent Lombardi