Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you grade the Chargers on the entire 2017 draft?
A 63 72.41%
B 21 24.14%
C 1 1.15%
D 0 0%
F 1 1.15%
Bacon 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2017, 06:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Default Bolt report card for entire draft--how do you grade it?

I think this is one of the Chargers best drafts ever. Rivers needed a big WR to give us depth, one who can high-point and catch the rock reliably: Williams, CHECK.

Bolts needed a TRUE OG to replace the departed Fluker, a road-grader who can also pass-pro: Lamp, CHECK. Bolts still need an OT to compete with Barks, and Lamp might even fill that fill. Bolts got ANOTHER highly rated OG in Feeney and now, they are suddenly DEEP with QUALITY O-line players. BONUS CHECK. If Franklin slacks, now we have a VERY capable backup in Feeney waiting in the wings. DOUBLE BONUS CHECK.

Now, on to safety, where we've been thin since Weddle left. Jenkins fits the fill. CHECK. Then, we get a true steal with King, who was the 2015 Thorpe Award winner for best defensive back in college football. BONUS CHECK. Word is some teams thought King is undersized. All I know is the dude is a ball hawk with great field awareness who will help not only in coverage, but move up and willingly tackle. DOUBLE BONUS CHECK.

Now, you normally don't expect much out of your round 6 and 7 players, so if either Tevi works out at OT or Rochell on D-line, that's a BONUS CHECK. If both work out, that's a DOUBLE BONUS CHECK. To be determined.

In summary, the Bolts have FINALLY, FINALLY done something to address their O-line issues WITHOUT drafting reaches like Fluker and Watt. Safety has been more than addressed and we now have a true #1 wide receiver opposite KA. Grade: A
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM
Hall of Famer

The first 5 picks are solid. The 6th and 7th picks? Who knows? The DE looks to have some burst to him. so he may be seen as a project. But he does have great size/length to him. worth a shot.

I give the draft an A.

A+ for the first 5 picks.

Last edited by eightdogs; 04-30-2017 at 08:41 AM..
Old 04-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Overall Grade: B+

1. Mike Williams. B. Not sure that we really needed a WR this high. Will he be able to separate at the next level...? Very cool that we have another WR should KA go down again.

2. Forrest Lamp. A-. Left Tackle feet on a left guards body. I know he'll have the feet. Will he have the power...? He replaces Franklin. Mission accomplished.

3. Dan Feeney. A+. Never would have thought he would make it to the 3rd round. He is this year's most complete OG. Good feet, gets down field, and has lots of power. Hopefully concussions don't ruin his career. Replaces Fluker.

4. Rayshawn Jenkins. B. Maybe taken a little high...? I watched his tapes a couple times in search for a FS. Came to the conclusion that he will not fill the role as a centerfielder, even though he has pretty good speed. What he will do is be excellent against TE's and RB's in coverage. He's strong and fiesty in coverage and in the run game. Best suited for Gusly's SS position.

5. Desmond King. B+. In the 5th round, he was a steal. The big question is... does he have enough speed to play Gusly's single-high safety position...? Does he (or his agent Rosenhaus) want to play safety...? Time will tell. Hooker in the 1st might have been the better way to go...

6. Sam Tevi. B. In all my searching for late round OT prospects (it was extensive) I didn't see this guys tape. Too bad. He's actually fairly good for a 6th round pick... especially considering this year's OT class. Fairly balanced, fairly powerful in the run game. Hand usage will have to be improved. Will have to keep his head up and butt down. But there is promise... especially as a run blocker. How many OT's can we fit on the roster, though...? Would have preferred we get depth at another position.

7. Isaac Rochell. C. My least favorite pick. Do we not need depth at the SAM position...? Give me Carroll Phillips, please! Rochell will be fighting Caraun Reid, Tenny Palepoi, and Darius Philon for depth and practice squad positions...

Overall, really happy with this draft... especially the upgrade along the OL.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Williams = day one starter. Exactly what a top ten first pick should be.

Lamp = A solid pick that it is reasonable to expect will become a starter.

Feeney = A solid pick that it is reasonable to expect will become a starter.

Jenkins = 14th Safety chosen.....depth player, and a poor pick by TT in my view.

King = I think this pick is a Safety project, as he clearly doesn't have the speed to play CB at the NFL level. How does he project towards a ST's spot while he transitions to S is the real question.

Tevi = TT showing resolve at addressing OL deficiency, if he makes the team, depth player.

Rochell = TT needed to add some pieces to the DL group. 7th round pick = low expectations, hope he plays well.

First three picks were solid, then it gets much more difficult for TT, and his choices reflect that. Grading the effort seems a tad bit unfair, as nobody knows how any of these players will turn out at the next level. Personally, I am hoping there is a gem in those bottom four picks !

GO BOLTS !
Old 04-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Destroy the opposition!

if adams would have fell to us and we got him instead of williams, i would give this draft an A. i think TT did about as well as he possibly could have but the chargers still need a legit FS.

however, mike williams was the right choice for who was available, i didn't like hooker there because there were too many question marks about his experience and tackling ability to be a top 10 worthy pick.

sure, receiver wasn't a huge need but mike williams is a legit top 10 player, a complete WR who is like having vincent jackson back only more talented.

B+ draft IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Williams = day one starter. Exactly what a top ten first pick should be.

Lamp = A solid pick that it is reasonable to expect will become a starter.

Feeney = A solid pick that it is reasonable to expect will become a starter.

Jenkins = 14th Safety chosen.....depth player, and a poor pick by TT in my view.

King = I think this pick is a Safety project, as he clearly doesn't have the speed to play CB at the NFL level. How does he project towards a ST's spot while he transitions to S is the real question.

Tevi = TT showing resolve at addressing OL deficiency, if he makes the team, depth player.

Rochell = TT needed to add some pieces to the DL group. 7th round pick = low expectations, hope he plays well.

First three picks were solid, then it gets much more difficult for TT, and his choices reflect that. Grading the effort seems a tad bit unfair, as nobody knows how any of these players will turn out at the next level. Personally, I am hoping there is a gem in those bottom four picks !
I'm not a fan of moving up, but it was very obvious we were going Safty in 4th rd to at least 2 teams. I also would like to know if we would have gone with Adams if he fell to us. Might have been a better draft.

Overall great draft A. We can finally put to rest OL tread.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Rookie

A+++

Williams is a pretty solid pick, while Lamp, Feeney, and King were all steals by most standards, and all at areas of need. Can't really argue with any of the other picks, except maybe the 7th rounder...but it's a 7th rounder....

Sam Tevi intrigues me....he seems to possess the natural size and feet to be a really good OT...just needs the weight room and some fine tuned coaching. Hopefully he stays close to his fellow draft classmates Feeney and Lamp, and stays motivated enough to make that leap that so many other practice squad/developmental players fail to make. I actually hope he shows up enough to keep him on the team...don't want to see him get signed away.

Thought about him in the third....
Screamed for him in the fourth...
Whooped when we stole him in the fifth...
My 2017 adopted bolt.....
Desmond King DB
Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida SD fan View Post
I'm not a fan of moving up, but it was very obvious we were going Safty in 4th rd to at least 2 teams. I also would like to know if we would have gone with Adams if he fell to us. Might have been a better draft.

Overall great draft A. We can finally put to rest OL tread.

So you think adding a 2nd, 3rd and 6th round picks fixes all that is bad on the Bolt OL ?

Improved talent, certainly....but definitely still a work in progress.

GO BOLTS !
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM
All-Pro

I haven't been so excited about a Chargers draft class in years. I am quite happy with the work that the football operations group was able to accomplish. I woke up today with a sense of optimism about this team I haven't had for a long time.

I also woke up this morning with a renewed sense of sadness about the move. I have a funny feeling that this team is going to have a very, very good year and it won't be happening in the city that has supported them for more than 50 years.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
So you think adding a 2nd, 3rd and 6th round picks fixes all that is bad on the Bolt OL ?

Improved talent, certainly....but definitely still a work in progress.
Yeah, still questions at the OT positions.