Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 AM
昇龍拳 Shōryūken

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzubeck View Post
Maybe that's why they win... they pay their franchise qb the big bucks and everybody else can get to the back of the bus...

Right now I'd even take a 2nd +3rd rounder in next years draft as compensation for Ingram...He's a very good player but I don't see him as the difference maker to the team that he see's himself as...so....what should a team do to glean some kind of value before this explodes in their faces....
I want to wait and see how he does in Gus's system. Aside from injury, the two biggest things that determine a player's performance is talent and scheme fit. Since changing his diet/workouts/losing weight/adding muscle he's been fairly productive and healthy for the most part. He does have talent. I want to see scheme fit.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:49 AM
PADS 2021 WS. I CALLED IT

Quote:
Maybe that's why they win... they pay their franchise qb the big bucks and everybody else can get to the back of the bus...

Right now I'd even take a 2nd +3rd rounder in next years draft as compensation for Ingram...He's a very good player but I don't see him as the difference maker to the team that he see's himself as...so....what should a team do to glean some kind of value before this explodes in their faces....
I'd take a 2nd and a 3rd in a heartbeat. The Patriots traded Chandler Jones for the 61st pick and a G that couldn't make the roster. A 2nd and a 3rd is probably unrealistic for Ingram.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Chargers Fan since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
We placed the non exclusive tag.
I'm still looking for what the rules are re when they have to sign to join the team but that's not an issue until we reach Jul 15 without a contract.
I think they are locked into the one-year deal on July 15th. You know they can't negotiate with another team and you know they can sit out the year.

I've seen a lot of articles indicating it's everything you need know about the Franchise Tag. So far, that hasn't been true. I have no earthly idea when they "have" to report if they expect to get paid.

I think the Franchise Tag was borne as a bargaining chip to get guys signed to multi-year deals. Ingram would have gotten big money as a free agent. But, if he plays on the Franchise Tag, he'll have to play at a high level to get the same interest next year he would have gotten this year.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Chargers Fan since 1970

Quote:
What safeguards do the chargers have concerning him waiting until the last minute to sign his contract or even wait until the season begins. If players are allowed to do this and not sign when tagged then they should not become eligible to play the current season with any team and they get zero pay for an entire year. I'm not current on the collective bargaining agreement as it stands today.
I don't think anybody here is the definitive expert on CBA. Maybe Joe. I know I'm not. I'm 65 and I have multiple-weekly migraines, among other things.

I think the one-year contract gets locked in on July 15th. I think the Chargers can pull the tag before July 15th or before Ingram signs (if he does). I have no idea when he has to report to get paid. He can sit out the year and not play. If he does play, he will certainly want to play at a high level to get the same interest next year. This is where even a minor injury that lingers could affect his bargaining power next year. That's a real risk.

I think the Franchise Tag is a bargaining chip for teams to get players signed to multi-year contracts. I think there are negatives on both sides, but players almost universally, if not universally, hate them, and teams use them. The bottom line is the Chargers completely understand the Franchise Tag, unlike us, fully understand the risks/rewards it entails, and chose to use it.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Joe does great research. Hopefully at some point he'll clear this up for us but it's not an issue before Jul 16. MI can attend OTAs and mandatory vet mini-camp Jun 13-15 without a contract or signed tag (I think!) There should be some Ingram news by Jun 13-15.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:28 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres15 View Post
I'd take a 2nd and a 3rd in a heartbeat. The Patriots traded Chandler Jones for the 61st pick and a G that couldn't make the roster. A 2nd and a 3rd is probably unrealistic for Ingram.
How are the 2nd and 3rd round picks going to help the Chargers in 2017?

Are the Chargers going to waive the 2018 draft selection cards in the face of QB's like Brady & Carr, and watch them roll over??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:36 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default Here is the rule ...

Quote:
July 15, 2017:

At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2017 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.

http://operations.nfl.com/football-o...ant-nfl-dates/
Summarizing, the Chargers have more than two months to sign Ingram to an extension.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 PM
PADS 2021 WS. I CALLED IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Obviously they won't, but there will be seasons in 2018 and beyond. Like the Chandler Jones trade, if they don't anticipate signing him long term then it might be worth it to cash in on the extra draft pick(s).

Our last two 2nd's were Lamp and Henry. 4 cheap years of a player like that + all the extra cap space that would have been allocated to Ingram is probably worth more than the nice play you'd get from Ingram.

If they think they can get a reasonable long term deal done then throw that out the window.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:06 PM
vagabond ninja

IMO MI is a decent player, not as disruptive as he may think his presumed pay warrants. I cant say he's top 10 OLB in the league. Bosa was much more effective in a lot less snaps.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:45 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post

Are the Chargers going to waive the 2018 draft selection cards in the face of QB's like Brady & Carr, and watch them roll over??
It won't...but it will help us out in future years...no one wants a grumpy malcontent in the locker room. I'm just envisaging something similar to what happened with Vincent Jackson...that's why I was asking about the current state of franchise tag rules and player responsibility.