Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Default LA Chargers biggest rival

Who are the Chargers biggest AFC West rival? Right now.

It has to be the Chiefs. Does it make sense to say the Raiders or Broncos are our biggest rival? I think the rivalry with KC is slept on by many fans.

The Chargers and Raiders have not been good at the same time. When one of the teams are sweeping the seasonal meeting the other is a mess. The rivalry with the Broncos doesn't have the juice it used to have IMO. Something is lacking that made the competition of the series intense.

Ever since Rivers has been in the league KC has always been a pest to the Chargers. They always get in the way of us making the playoffs. Years 2005, 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2017. Rivers didn't play in 2005 against KC, but he was on the roster nonetheless. Point being, the Chargers have had years where they needed to stay alive to get in the playoffs, and the Chiefs play them like a gatekeeper. KC has beaten us 8 in a row. Wouldn't it make sense to hate a team for beating you that make much? Wouldn't you be sick of it? I'm pretty sure the Raiders hated us when we had a 13 game winning streak on them.

Another thing, before the Chiefs had an 8 game win streak on the Chargers, the two teams had competitive games. They competed for the division two (2) times in the 2010s.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:42 PM
October is Coming

Indeed it is the Chiefs. And really Chiefs have not just for the Raiders. But for all of the AFC West for the past couple of years.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Veteran

right now,

no one in the division considers the Chargers a rival.
haven't won the division in almost a decade thing.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Hall of Famer

True. I hate the Chiefs for bullying us last year. It doesn't mean they are our rivals. Rivalry usually means it's competitive. Coach Lynn said it best regarding Elway's comments on the Bolts being the best team in the AFC West.

It's a mouse trap don't fall for it. The Chiefs are 8-0 against us. Their the team to beat and they beat us up good the 2nd game. Gotta get on the board a few times to make a rivalry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblueboy View Post
right now,

Old 05-21-2018, 08:28 PM
First member of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblueboy View Post
right now,

That's true. I've read comments by Chiefs fans that consider the Chargers a push-over. Look at how many years the Bolts end up in fourth place.

As for our main rival, to me it's always been the hated raiders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer

The Chargers biggest rival is the recent past Chargers.
Get over it.
We have too much talent to not win in the AFCW.
This is not McCoy's Chargers, not the moving van Chargers with a new HC & staff at a new facility. We're here, we are a kick-ass team and will enjoy settling any questions about AFCW strength.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 AM
Release DJ Fluker!!

Even with the Chiefs spanking us every year, I still don't see them as our top rival. Still goes Raiders and Broncos in the division for me.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Their biggest rival? I've never seen them beat by anyone more than by the San Diego Chargers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:02 AM
Rookie

I think the Broncos will be our biggest rivals. Chiefs and Raiders still don't have a defense(especially the Raiders). The Raiders have gone through a major coaching change so we're not sure how Gruden will do in this current NFL. Patrick Mehomes is basically a rookie QB. They do have the talent on offense, though. The Broncos still have their front 7, which is improved with Bradley Chubb. Sure, they lost Talib, but Bradley Roby is a good player and that secondary won't be the No Fly Zone anymore, but you still don't want to just throw carelessly on the Broncos. They still appear to have a weak offensive line and we're unsure if Keenum is gonna be Super Keenum, or the same old backup that he was. The Vikings have a really well coached offense and the Broncos obviously don't. Keenum can't be any worse than Siemian, though and Sanders is one of the most unappreciated and underrated receivers in the NFL.

The Broncos are the team I'm scared of the most in the AFC West. Hopefully our true rivals are outside of our division.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipps View Post
I think the Broncos will be our biggest rivals. Chiefs and Raiders still don't have a defense(especially the Raiders). The Raiders have gone through a major coaching change so we're not sure how Gruden will do in this current NFL. Patrick Mahomes is basically a rookie QB. They do have the talent on offense, though. The Broncos still have their front 7, which is improved with Bradley Chubb. Sure, they lost Talib, but Bradley Roby is a good player and that secondary won't be the No Fly Zone anymore, but you still don't want to just throw carelessly on the Broncos. They still appear to have a weak offensive line and we're unsure if Keenum is gonna be Super Keenum, or the same old backup that he was. The Vikings have a really well coached offense and the Broncos obviously don't. Keenum can't be any worse than Siemian, though and Sanders is one of the most unappreciated and underrated receivers in the NFL.

The Broncos are the team I'm scared of the most in the AFC West. Hopefully our true rivals are outside of our division.
You could be right. They got Jared Veeldheer from the Cardinals at RT, which might be a big addition, & Bolles should be better in his 2nd year - so the Oline should be improved. The new rb they got in the 3rd round should also help & maybe Butts is worth a damn. On the downside, Sanders & Thomas are now in their 30s (& rookie receivers generally take time); and without Talib, they'll lack three solid corners. Roby will now be covering the top receivers - let's see just how good he is; he has been covering the 3rd best receiver on each team up to now & suddenly they lack depth. And how good will be Keenum with teams now having a lot of tape on him, and taking time to prep for him in the offseason? He looked shaky in the playoffs.

Elway probably made a few mistakes somewhere in putting together this team.

Last edited by powderblueboy; 06-10-2018 at 08:25 AM..