Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 AM
Blame Butts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderblueboy View Post
I didn't like him the first time i saw him. I actually mentally tossed him into the do not draft pile - not physical enough; or probably not active enough is a better description. When i heard that the Chargers recently met with him, i did another look. I obviously liked him a lot the second time: primarily as a pass defender. Single him up on tight ends, slot receivers, running backs (Saquon Barkley) - the guy is so fluid. He's good enough against the run to warrant a 2nd round selection: better & more physical than Darius Leanard (a guy who is getting a ton of 2nd round hype). I missed a lot on my first exposure to him.

Get some DT's up front that will let him roam free. When he had the opportunity, i didn't see him miss tackles. He'd be a good get because the NFL is a passing league, the Chargers need more speed on D, & i think he fits Gus Bradley's D.
So youíre saying that after your first exposure to J Baker, you basically saw what this pro defensive coach saw right?
Iím wondering if guys with this reputation will see a bump in their value due to the new rules and NFL trending towards less violent tackling
Old 04-15-2018, 02:20 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
I want the Chargers to reach for Jerome Baker in the 2nd.

The media generally has him going in the 3rd-4rth. They r wrong & i m right.
Nominated Draft POTD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:23 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
I didn't like him the first time i saw him. I actually mentally tossed him into the do not draft pile - not physical enough; or probably not active enough is a better description. When i heard that the Chargers recently met with him, i did another look. I obviously liked him a lot the second time: primarily as a pass defender. Single him up on tight ends, slot receivers, running backs (Saquon Barkley) - the guy is so fluid. He's good enough against the run to warrant a 2nd round selection: better & more physical than Darius Leanard (a guy who is getting a ton of 2nd round hype). I missed a lot on my first exposure to him.

Get some DT's up front that will let him roam free. When he had the opportunity, i didn't see him miss tackles. He'd be a good get because the NFL is a passing league, the Chargers need more speed on D, & i think he fits Gus Bradley's D.
Apparently so did Woodeye with Tevi ................................

Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21and500 View Post
So youíre saying that after your first exposure to J Baker, you basically saw what this pro defensive coach saw right?
Iím wondering if guys with this reputation will see a bump in their value due to the new rules and NFL trending towards less violent tackling
I'm not the person to assess how tough a player is, sitting on my behind behind a computer screen. What i saw at the time was a guy who wasn't making a lot of tackles. You watch video of him and after 3 quarters you think to yourself 'when is he going to make a play?' In part, there weren't a lot of plays for him to be made (& i frankly had other things to do & didn't want to continue). I had the same initial reaction to Maurice Hurst. Watch some games and you come away unimpressed. You generally don't want him taking on the center/guard on running plays: that shouldn't be the job of the weakside linebacker; however, in terms of "toughness", i've seen him come up and smack full backs or take on pulling guards - i don't buy the lacking toughness part. He's no Ray Lewis, & he won't always be perfectly positioned on running plays; but he'll quickly smell out plays in space. Saw him run down a wide receiver on a jet sweep for minimal gain that no linebacker (including Roquan Smith) had any business making. He can really accelerate. Physically he's almost identical to Roquan Smith: height, weight, arm length, 40 time....he also appears to be a smart guy, based on his interviews.

Watching him against USC, Penn State & Michigan, I saw the guy the Chargers need at weakside linebacker. He'll be very good. You can possibly find someone in the 3rd, 4rth, or 5th, but they'll probably be average at best.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Thanks for everything 85!

I'd be heated if Chargers reached for Kolton at 17. There would be better players to fit the need.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Hall of Famer

PON meets BPA at LVE. get on board.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
PON meets BPA at LVE. get on board.
Vander Esch is a talent, no doubt; but he strikes me as being years away from reaching his ceiling. I only liked him in the bowl game against Oregon. He's played the linebacker position for a short time & one will have to be patient with him.

I'd be surprised if the Chargers draft him at #17.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post
I'd be heated if Chargers reached for Kolton at 17. There would be better players to fit the need.
I like Kolton Miller. Doesn't look like a 6'8" guy on film. Will have problems with pass rushers with great bend, or who are built low to the ground - Geron Avery dinged him for two sacks. One scout said that he got poor coaching at UCLA, and that his problems are fixable. I don't know what the problems are. He gave up pressure to Nkwosu a few times in the USC game; but Nkwosu got great jumps because the UCLA center bobbed his head repeatedly before snapping the football. Was that Quessenberry?

If the Chargers select Kolton Miller at #17, i'd figure they see him to be their LT for the next decade. Can't complain about that.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:45 PM
Thanks for everything 85!

Quote:
I like Kolton Miller. Doesn't look like a 6'8" guy on film. Will have problems with pass rushers with great bend, or who are built low to the ground - Geron Avery dinged him for two sacks. One scout said that he got poor coaching at UCLA, and that his problems are fixable. I don't know what the problems are. He gave up pressure to Nkwosu a few times in the USC game; but Nkwosu got great jumps because the UCLA center bobbed his head repeatedly before snapping the football. Was that Quessenberry?

If the Chargers select Kolton Miller at #17, i'd figure they see him to be their LT for the next decade. Can't complain about that.
Yeah, for a guy that big, he's pretty nimble. Only if the top two OTs are gone, I can live with that, but the rest of the picks afterwards is looking questionable.

Chargers can't rely on Barksdale. Not to mention he's dealing with depression. He's a big liability.

I was hoping Kolton can be had in the 2nd round, but teams are noticing how good he really is.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:56 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger Dodger View Post
Same. Its infuriating hearing Justin Reid at 17. Its nuts.