Old 05-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Rookie

http://nfltraderumors.co/chargers-si...uchenna-nwosu/

Majority of picks have been signed
Old 05-15-2018, 06:20 PM
& ramblin' man

Uchenna

(some of) his competition/comparisons
when outfielder Curt Flood sued baseball in 1970 for the right to sell his services to the highest bidder, he initiated a process that would destroy the feudal structure of pro sports. Flood lost his battle. His fellow players in time, won the war. Those who do not thank him daily in their prayers....
Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 AM
& ramblin' man

well.... sorry to follow up the Nwosu (Fanatical Yankee) reports w/this, and.... someone I know that watches a fair bit of Florida football warned me that he was overrated.

Derwin

and just to save the diehards some time, this guy had high marks for both Maximillian Tuerk and Marion Grice....

that said, dude is still my fave read among draftniks, and do not take lightly his guesstimation of our first two selections, and....

am still of the opinion.... a very average draft had by our Carson Chargers.
when outfielder Curt Flood sued baseball in 1970 for the right to sell his services to the highest bidder, he initiated a process that would destroy the feudal structure of pro sports. Flood lost his battle. His fellow players in time, won the war. Those who do not thank him daily in their prayers....
Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Hall of Famer

So this guy basically sucks as a talent evaluator correct? He had high marks for Tuerk and Grice. If he misses on Derwin then his opinion has no credibility.

I tend to favor Bryan McFadden a former Steeler whose actually played NFL football and actually watched Derwin in person during practice. If he says James is an alpha dog...by alpha I mean the first person to be in on a tackle, the only person to say don't run it here after snuffing the run play. That's what this team needs a talented, physically gifted player who plays with a nasty attitude. We need this in droves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
well.... sorry to follow up the Nwosu (Fanatical Yankee) reports w/this, and.... someone I know that watches a fair bit of Florida football warned me that he was overrated.

Derwin

and just to save the diehards some time, this guy had high marks for both Maximillian Tuerk and Marion Grice....

that said, dude is still my fave read among draftniks, and do not take lightly his guesstimation of our first two selections, and....

am still of the opinion.... a very average draft had by our Carson Chargers.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:45 PM
HOFer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post
So this guy basically sucks as a talent evaluator correct? He had high marks for Tuerk and Grice. If he misses on Derwin then his opinion has no credibility.

I tend to favor Bryan McFadden a former Steeler whose actually played NFL football and actually watched Derwin in person during practice. If he says James is an alpha dog...by alpha I mean the first person to be in on a tackle, the only person to say don't run it here after snuffing the run play. That's what this team needs a talented, physically gifted player who plays with a nasty attitude. We need this in droves.
“It in a bottle” Nothing more to say. Mic Drop!

“The good thing about science is that it is true whether or not you believe it.” Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Old 05-17-2018, 09:55 AM
& ramblin' man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltinabottle View Post

did sorta set the table so you or others who are not so keen on a dissenting opinion could play him as a discard, and like many/most other pundits he has swung and whiffed on a good many picks, and.... if you look thru/read the litany of draft evals he has done, am guessing he's spot on more oft than not, and....

personally I see Derwin's intangibles as just as much an alley cat as alpha dog, which in no way renders his shortcomings any less of the such, and that's not to say he's not going to be just fine back in the Chargers secondary, and again.... my personal opinion is that he's gonna have a learning curve/adoption cycle similar to Ingram, and that if and when he ends up closer/closest to the LOS @SS or the like, is when we will see the real/full deal Derwin James.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:05 AM
& ramblin' man

gonna revisit things after I have been splattered and tattered here as have not shifted my stance/POV after the CMB deluge....

1) Isaiah Wynn, Courtland Sutton, Billy Price

first up am not arguing that Derwin isn't a good selection, just stating that he's not where I would've gone, as earlier mentioned my fear is that we will return to being just Eric Weddle good by drafting a S that high, albeit would have been more inclined to feel otherwise if Minkah had been the fall guy.

and will repeat for those w/the tomato cans, that I like James better than Tremaine, and half the guys that went in front on him. however am not of the mind that he was/is a top five/ten talent and on auto select for All Pro, let alone the HOF.

obviously my first choice woulda been Vea, albeit w/him off the board, am a proponent of drafting linemen early and often, and given the strength of this draft was w/the IOL and that I am a big fan of Isaiah Wynn, prolly woulda gone in that direction. also think Billy Price is gonna turn out just fine and that he mighta been worth the 17 overall as well.

and as mentioned before, and despite that it is pure conjecture on my part, do suspect that some peoples will look back on Courtland Sutton dropping to the (Broncos and the) second round as near larceny.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 AM
& ramblin' man

2) Connor Williams, Anthony Miller, Jessie Bates, Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis

after woodeye and others were pimping Nwosu hard after it was reported that the Chargers were extremely keen on Uchenna, I double checked in on him and still couldn't get on board, and.... haven't changed my mind. am hoping he's better than some surmise, albeit do think we really missed out on a top shelf DB by passing on the likes of Bates, Oliver or Carlton Davis.

Bates was a red shirt sophomore who no doubt woulda smelled the rarefied air of a top 10 or 15 overall prospect had he stayed behind another year. some peoples had some doubts 'bout parts of his game, but think it was pretty much consensus that his ceiling/potential was/is (very) high.

and nobody is a sure thing/lock, and there were pundits aplenty who thought Oliver was one of if not potentially the best cover corner in the draft, w/size and speed.

and Davis was a rough 'em up corner who was still decent in coverage, but someone who absolutely had no problem coming up against the run.

if Nwosu is better than any of 'em will be surprised/impressed.... (hopeful that our position coaches are not "given" an allotment of picks, and that team Tommy John just oversees our coaches as they angle/barter for picks ?)

will also add that if you're being objective you could prolly've taken Connor Williams off your board due to his injury concerns, albeit have little doubt personally that injury free, that he will do just fine in the League.

and ditto for Anthony Miller, as really liked the guy, albeit thinkin' the second round mighta been a little rich, and given that we woulda prolly been better off w/one of the DBs ??
Old 05-17-2018, 10:23 AM
& ramblin' man

gonna give Justin Jones the benefit of the doubt in third as the DT contingent was getting sparse at that point and that the alternative was Ronnie Harrison, who I thunk was a late first round talent, albeit there are/were questions 'bout his intangibles ??

4) Armani Watts, Mo Hurst, Genard Avery, Tyrell Crosby

again and just for the record, think that if objective you prolly coulda taken Crosby off your board due to health concerns, and that Avery and no matter how highly touted, may have still been perceived as a bit of a risk round four and in that oft a once upon a time unknown prospect will get a late rally of media support and climb boards, over and above his true/fairest slotting.

and guessing teams didn't want the legal liability/vulnerability w/Hurst, but woulda had no problem drafting him in lieu of Jones round three.

the guy I did like for us woulda been Watts as think he's plain and simple a playmaker and don't think you pass on them when they're there for the taking, and.... yes, peoples had their concerns 'bout him, and guessing he's gonna put them to rest before too very long, and.... not concerned about double dipping @FS if we had gone Bates.... BPA, not to mention we had (virtually) nobody @FS at that juncture.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:31 AM
& ramblin' man

5) Obo, Tim Settle, Jamarco Jones, Deon Cain

my suspicion is that the Qberry was a bit of a sentimental pick, which isn't all bad if (and when) he works/pans out, albeit if he doesn't and there are those that def question his prospects.... there were alternatives.

personally woulda had my hesitations w/most anyone bolded above, as no doubt Obo has mad talent/skills, albeit wonder 'bout his intangibles, and ditto for Deon Cain as he looks like he could be all world, but given that he is following in MW's footsteps.... dunno ??

had Jamarco Jones as a borderline first rounder and really think he's gonna start on the right side for someone sometime, and.... wasn't in love w/him as a Charger, and ditto for Tim Settle who gotta alotta love @one point in the process, but fell off a bit after peoples took a closer look at him.

my pick here woulda been (Hercules) Mata'afa no questions asked, and woulda had no complaints w/either Tony Brown or Brandon Facyson neither, and woulda hailed Telesco as having done it again w/another round five surprise bonanza.... (am very grateful that we have both Brown and Facyson on the squad now).