Go Back   The Official Los Angeles Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 12:20 PM
cstu

Default Bengals 1998 Draft Info on Steve Foley and Mike Goff

Just ran across this and thought it was interesting since I didn't realize they were both drafted in the 3rd round by the Bengals in '98:

Quote:
MIKE GOFF

The Bengals went into the draft hoping to land an offensive tackle. When the New Orleans Saints took Kyle Turley with the No. 7 pick, those hopes were dashed.
''If you're going to take a tackle, especially a left tackle, you take him in the first round,'' line coach Paul Alexander said. ''Middle-round guys lack something, and usually that lack means they can't play.''
With their second third-round pick, the Bengals chose Iowa guard Mike Goff, and Alexander could not be happier.
''I like Big 10, tough, physical players. And that's what he is,'' Alexander said.
Alexander compared Goff, 6-feet-5, 314 pounds, to Bengals starting guards Ken Blackman and Rich Braham, although he may not be as athletic as either player.
''I bring a hard-nosed style,'' Goff said. ''It's a Big 10, bring-it-to-you style that I want to bring.''
Goff has the smarts as well. He scored a 38 on the Wunderlich test, the second-highest score for an offensive lineman.
''I guess people get lucky sometimes,'' Goff said. ''I took my time, didn't rush and gave the right answers.''
Goff also won the praise of Bengals fourth-round pick Glen Steele, a defensive lineman from Michigan.
''He's a great player, a hard-nosed player,'' Steele said. ''He's pretty big, and he's quick. He's a tough competitor.''

Alexander said Goff will back up Braham, but he also gives the Bengals different possibilities in case of injuries. Goff started the season opener in 1996, but was forced to the sidelines because of a back injury. He came back last year to earn All-Big 10 honors, allowing only one sack and registering 72 pancake blocks.
- Todd Archer

STEVE FOLEY

If Steve Foley had played at a big-time school, it is doubtful the 6-foot-3, 261-pound defensive end turned outside linebacker would have been available to the Bengals in the third round.
Foley, the 75th player chosen overall, was a terror at Division I-AA Northeast Louisiana, leading the nation last season with 18 1/2 sacks. He also had 26 1/2 tackles for losses.
''You have to go out and prove you can compete with those guys,'' Foley said. ''I'm ready to do that.''
Foley shares the same attributes of the other Bengals' draftees, speed and strength. He ran a 4.68 40-yard dash at the combine and bench-pressed 225 pounds 22 times.
Foley also isn't totally unfamiliar with the position. At Northeast Louisiana, he was primarily a rush defensive end, but he was moved around to outside and inside linebacker at times.
''I think I can fit in real well there and help the team out a lot because of my speed and my awareness,'' Foley said. ''I won't go out there and lose a step. It's going to be a learning process. I'm not going to look at it like some guys and complain. I'm ready to go in and get (the system) down.''
The Bengals took a similar chance on Reinard Wilson a year ago, but that was with their first-round pick. As the season went on, Wilson improved, but he did not have much of an impact.
''I said there would be a transition period for Reinard Wilson when we drafted him,'' Dick Lebeau said. ''There will be a transition period for Steve Foley. It takes guys a while to feel comfortable rushing the passer from standing up . . . Will Steve Foley come in and look like an outside linebacker right away? No. Is he a quality NFL athlete? Yes.''
- Todd Archer
Old 03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
nshep42

gotta love how the old bengals ripped on their own players before they even had them
Old 03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Believes it!

Nice find! Interesting to read the evaluations with the benefit of hindsight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

17 + 85 = 102% Domination
Old 03-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Leave Blank

Nice find... thanks for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not my fault that I never learned to accept responsibility
Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Goff has the smarts as well. He scored a 38 on the Wunderlich test
That's impressive.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:56 PM
nshep42

he should tutor vince young